What size thickness for door frame/jam?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v6scorpion

Reaction score
Old door frame i took out 30mm x 100mm but i want to know if the redwood i bought from wickes will do to hold solid pine door up, its 20.5mm x 94mm and it going up between studwork an brickwork with door hinges going on brickwork side of frame. Door is a 16kg pine, wood from wickes is as close as i could get to original frame i took out an i cant get my plane i bought years ago set up right lol to fine plane

As you will have to pack out either side, i would get some 9mm ply and fix that to the frame before fixing. It will add strength and thickness to the frame - requiring less packers.

As said 5 fixings per side should be ample. On occasion i have had to fix through the hinges into the brickwork/studwork to help keep the door in place. That was very heavy 100+kg though.

30mmx100mm is a door lining and not a frame.
I would suggest that you go into a builders merchant and buy a proper door lining set, which includes the housing joints in the head for the ready machined stiles to go into, and a set of thin door stops, all wrapped up in polythene to keep it clean. Always check for straightness.
linings come in two main sizes, either for 100mm stud and 1 layer of plasterboard and skim each side or for a 75mm stud wall plus plasterboard and skim for the two sides.
Should the lining be going between two flat walls then either size will do.
check the floor level between the proposed door opening, and adjust, or you will be cutting the top and bottom of the door off!
Fix the hinge lining in plumb, first, using you're level, and plug/screw each side, about 25mm in and not just down the middle, or the wood in drying will probably move and take the plaster with it.
"Eye in", or "bone" in the striking or latch stile with the one just fixed, use a spreader and keep the lining paralell apart
HTH Rodders

20mm is fine for that sort of door as already mentions, i would always go and buy a frame set as blackrodd said it'll make your like much easier and is already set for the standard door sizes. make up the frame, pop it in the hole put some fixings in there (making sure its all level) and then i usually put foam between brick and door liners just to firm everything up, then you really have a solid door frame. Ive just pretty much repeated what blackrodd said.... repetition for emphasis :)

Luketheduke":35vpj59r said:
20mm is fine for that sort of door as already mentions, i would always go and buy a frame set as blackrodd said it'll make your like much easier and is already set for the standard door sizes. make up the frame, pop it in the hole put some fixings in there (making sure its all level) and then i usually put foam between brick and door liners just to firm everything up, then you really have a solid door frame. Ive just pretty much repeated what blackrodd said.... repetition for emphasis :)

FWIW, I use fire rated expanding foam rather than the normal stuff. Plus it's PINK! 8)

MMUK":1gmziigq said:
Luketheduke":1gmziigq said:

FWIW, I use fire rated expanding foam rather than the normal stuff. Plus it's PINK! 8)
Use with caution if you've not used expanding foam before!

Hivenhoe":1awo694o said:
MMUK":1awo694o said:
Luketheduke":1awo694o said:

Use with caution if you've not used expanding foam before!

ie; don't overfill the gap :lol:

foam3.jpg

Back