What should I do with my new TS 200??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaffajim0

Established Member
Reaction score
[b][/b]I have just taken delivery of my TS 200 and wanted some advice on what I should do regarding setting it up. I have seen some threads before about dust extraction problems and also peoples own efforts at mounting it on a bench. I have yet to assemble it so I could save a lot of time by making something to hold it and then I could leave the stand in the box and flog them on if there is a market for them. I am not sure whether I will find the sliding carriage useful for me or not but it is one of the reasons I bought the saw so I hope I will, any thoughts? Do people think I would be better off making a collapsible outfeed table and side table to double as a router table? If I made a side table how easy is it? I am thinking of the fence mounting more than anything else. What material should I use for the tables? Will MDF be long lasting enough? I have made a couple of things at home like my daughters 3/4 size bed, the kids playhouse and a couple of cabinets that I made in situ but this fills me with fear even though it probably should be no harder.
Any suggestions (backed up with photo's if possible) would be most helpful and I promise to post photo's of my results if they are not too shameful :ho2

Hi JaffajimO,
It is a great little saw, and I hope you have as much use/fun from yours as I have had from mine.
Can I suggest that the first thing you do is to download the current manual for the saw, as the wretched pamphlet that comes with it, if it is anything like mine, is out of date, and refers to a saw they made years ago.

Second thing is to check that the blade and the fence are parallel. If not you will eventually find that Axminster have abandoned the adjuster component, and you have to start an interesting conversation with their technical department to get a replacement. My fence was out by over a mm, and that was not good at all. Steve Maskery will shortly be on line to advise you to make a short fence - a very good idea.

As to the side table, you need that to be able to use the fence, and the sliding table is great, once you work out how to get it square. I would advise getting it all together if you possibly have room. I moved the freezer out, and it was worth it.

Have fun.
David

jaffa

great littlew saw, although i have now ditched the slide as it got in the way and was pita to set up. If you do anything to it "out of the box" then I'd replace the side table with a sheet of mdf as if your sheet steel one is anything like mine was it will be bowed out of the box and weill flex slightly when in use. Alaso extend the fence with a piece of mdf as i found it a little too short. I also ground the top of the riving knife down and redrilled the holes for the crown guard as the knife was proud of the top of the blade by about 5mm which didn't work with a x-cut sled.

vinny

Great purchase, I have the Kity version which is almost the same.

If you have the room set up the slide, I find myself using it a lot more than I ever thought I would.

I would recommend an outfeed table, even small cuts tend to fall off the edge of the table as it is not very large.

I didn't need to spend much time setting mine up as it was bought from a forum member who had done the hard work for me but as with any new machine it is worth the investment in time.

Good luck

Mick

set it up, use it, work out what you need to do to suit your work style type - otherwise you're just guessing?

agree you will need to align the blade to slots as a bare minimum

good saw have fun

Latest posts

Back