What sealant should be used before tiling?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamiePattison

Established Member
Reaction score
The shower wall is bare and I wondered is there anything that should be applied around the shower tray, so before any tiles are applied the tray is fully sealed on the sides and edges to eliminate any water leak issues?

Thanks

As spectric said, tanking is ideal.
A lot of people run silicone around the tray, then tile, then a second bead of silicone.

You don`t say what the wall is made of.
If plasterboard you will need hardibacker or something really, ideally replace the plasterboard entirely with a cement board.
If its brick and block then tanking is best. Last time I did one I did tanking slurry first, then hardibacker 6mm because the walls were really lumpy.

Ollie

You don`t say what the wall is made of.
If plasterboard you will need hardibacker or something really, ideally replace the plasterboard entirely with a cement board.
If its brick and block then tanking is best. Last time I did one I did tanking slurry first, then hardibacker 6mm because the walls were really lumpy.

Ollie
Yea it's a plasterboard. Some of the old cement was removed when removing the old tiles so I applied Polyfilla to cover that hole.

So overall yes it's a plasterboard. The plasterboard was broken towards the bottom so I applied a wendiboard (or something) which is close to a hardibacker but still needed some peace of mind before the tiling is applied.

Latest posts

Back