What professional should I seek?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
I have a thick branch of seasoned yew that I would like to convert to planks - but I am not a planker and do not have access to one.I don't want to purchase a planker for one job, so where might I find a professional who would do the job for me? I have no idea what kind of professional would do this, and so don't know what to search for.

I thought about sawing it myself, but the result need to be flat enough to rejoin the planks after shaping and I am not sure I am skilled enough to cut flat, or to smooth the resultant wobbles into joinable planks.

Any ideas would be welcome....

Phill

Thanks Jacob, but I know of no band sawyers either. Absolute max plank width needed would be 3" so could that be done on a table saw/bench saw?

That might make finding a professional easier.

Thanks Jacob, but I know of no band sawyers either. Absolute max plank width needed would be 3" so could that be done on a table saw/bench saw?

That might make finding a professional easier.
How big is this branch? There'll be a woodworker near you somewhere. If you are talking of 3 inches then I bet someone on here would slice it up for you and exchange by post

How big is this branch? There'll be a woodworker near you somewhere. If you are talking of 3 inches then I bet someone on here would slice it up for you and exchange by post
Good idea - if the postage costs are not prohibitive. Unfortunately for this project I need 'planks' 700mm long which could get pricey.

If you're willing to share some, contact your local woodturning club. They will have members with the gear needed.
Another good idea. The pieces that I have are smallish diameter - max 4" so maybe not interesting to turners. But if there is a local club maybe I could arrange a mutually satisfactory exchange. I might investigate Devon Wood Turners and Carvers who meet quite close by....

I would be interested to hear what more experienced sawyers have to say about this but I have read that branches are not often good for making planks because they are unevenly tensioned. Cutting releases these tensions and results in sometimes quite dramatic warping. It may be better for turning

just look in ur local yellow pages or the digital equiv.....
there are plenty of sawmill's out there...
I lived in a town for 20 years and didn't know there was one just 5 miles away....

I would be interested to hear what more experienced sawyers have to say about this but I have read that branches are not often good for making planks because they are unevenly tensioned. Cutting releases these tensions and results in sometimes quite dramatic warping. It may be better for turning
I hadn’t thought of that. It would be disappointing to lose a piece from my dwindling stock only to find it useless.

I have some planks that I attempted (poorly) but I can check them to see how they fared. Of course, no two bits of timber will react the same.

Phill

Back