what mortice chisel do you use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytools

Established Member
Reaction score
as stated above im curious as to what you use to cut a mortice. I've been using a narex (custom handle ;) chisel with a wooden mallet, a combination of new and old.
any one out there use primarily registered mortice chisels or sash? maby even bevel edge chisels, carver mallets ect ect.
im just curious as to other ways of doing things..

cheers
TT

tobytools":3fp3juq4 said:
as stated above im curious as to what you use to cut a mortice. I've been using a narex (custom handle ;) chisel with a wooden mallet, a combination of new and old.
any one out there use primarily registered mortice chisels or sash? maby even bevel edge chisels, carver mallets ect ect.
im just curious as to other ways of doing things..

cheers
TT

(Vintage) mortise if I have the right size, (vintage square sided) firmer failing that. I've "never not had" a firmer of the right size, so I've never been forced to use a bevel edged.

BugBear

pigsticker and a carvers mallet. For the larger (3/4"+) sizes, I will use a square mallet that I made

I have a couple of oval-bolster mortice chisels (1/4" and 3/8"), but for any other size I end up using a bevel edged chisel through lack of having anything else. I've morticed oak with a 1/2" or 5/8" bevel-edged chisel, I just took it carefully.

The four on the left are my 19th century Dutch mortising chisels. They are actually a very old design with the tapering towards the handle. In fact the taper in every which way to prevent the chisel sticking inside the mortise.

One of them still needs some surgery because the bevel is way too steep. I need that chisel really soon, so I will have to get the angle grinder up and running.

On the right in the picture you see some English sash morising ones, but I hardly use them anymore.

I have a set of the old pattern Sorby mortise chisels, but they're too thin by the ferrule and prone to bend, at least in the smaller sizes. If I could be bothered I would look out for a set of pig stickers, which take almost any amount of abuse, but I've become strangely uninterested in buying tools over the last few years....

while we are showing chisels.
these are what i have and i cover oat ground, a few of them are just for show (the big ones) the red handles registered mortices chisels are by sorby and I've used them a couple times, the the pig stickers are ok but i can only say that not really ever used them, the sash and the ting mortices are good to, never used a bevel edge chisel but I've seen them used to good effect.

the chisel i mostly uses is the one at the bottom the narex (custom)

i know i have to many but im in the process of selling gear that i don't use..

thanks for letting me know what you use, i will be using different tools as i progress in college so i make an informed decision on what to keep.
I've narrowed my BE chisels to just 12 :)

TT

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 1,332
I use whatever I have that's the size I want. I have a set of narex mortice chisels (the ones from classic hand tools) and I hate the handles, they are far too bulbous at the top and I have big hands. I keep meaning to get them rehandled. I made my mortices in my bench with a Marples 3/4 bevel edge chisel, they will take more abuse than you would think

Matt

undergroundhunter":hbyunft8 said:
I use whatever I have that's the size I want. I have a set of narex mortice chisels (the ones from classic hand tools) and I hate the handles, they are far too bulbous at the top and I have big hands. I keep meaning to get them rehandled. I made my mortices in my bench with a Marples 3/4 bevel edge chisel, they will take more abuse than you would think Matt
Same here. It's amazing how much you can get out of the Marples Blue Chip. You just have to be a bit thoughtful and refrain from trying to lever too much out.

JimB":2kes9l2e said:
undergroundhunter":2kes9l2e said:
I use whatever I have that's the size I want. I have a set of narex mortice chisels (the ones from classic hand tools) and I hate the handles, they are far too bulbous at the top and I have big hands. I keep meaning to get them rehandled. I made my mortices in my bench with a Marples 3/4 bevel edge chisel, they will take more abuse than you would think Matt
Same here. It's amazing how much you can get out of the Marples Blue Chip. You just have to be a bit thoughtful and refrain from trying to lever too much out.

Mine are a more modern chisel from a set my wife bought me. I use them exclusively for site work so they are my "beater" set. I found the same as long as your not too aggressive they work fine. I chopped with the 3/4 and fettled the waste out with a smaller 1/2 chisel.

Matt

Back