What kinds of awls are these?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corneel

Established Member
Reaction score
What kinds of awl's are these and how do I sharpen and use them?

foto3_zps79182200.jpg

Top one us a bradawl. Sharpen the tip like a double bevel chisel, insert across grain, push, twist.
The other is a birdcage awl. Hone the four flat faces on a fine stone so the long arrisses scrape a hole as you push and twist.

Thanks Andy, I'll give it a try. The first one sounds like a recipe to tear out some woodfibers from the surface though!

Would you use them just to start the hole and finish with a drillbit, or do you go all the way down when making a hole for a small screw or a nail?

Corneel":wh1fr9xy said:
Would you use them just to start the hole and finish with a drillbit, or do you go all the way down when making a hole for a small screw or a nail?
In place of drill.
Particularly handy for hinge fitting - 2 bradawls; one holds the hinge in place while you make another hole with the other one. Tap in with hammer and then twist and press.

Thanks Jacob. I guess it depends on the hardness of the wood too. In pine the birdcage awl goes easily into the wood, but I haven't tried with something harder yet.

Back