What is this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend was cleaning out her deceased father's workshop and brought me this layout devise that has me stumped. After lurking here for years, I know that someone would know just what we have here. The main part(s) appear to me to be a sector---but the second scale (on each leg's left side) appears to be all out of proportion. Also, the middle leg in the pictures is fitted with what appears to be a mechanical pencil type lead holder. Further, there is a eyelet screw on one of the main legs that may or may not belong. There is no maker's mark on the thing, but the numbers are printed too uniformly to be hand drawn.

IMG_2669.JPG

IMG_2670.JPG

IMG_2671.JPG

IMG_2672.JPG

Conjecture on my part is that perhaps it is a sector that can somehow be adapted to draw ellipses. If so, how? Anyone have an idea what this devise is and how to use it?

A friend was cleaning out her deceased father's workshop and brought me this layout devise that has me stumped. After lurking here for years, I know that someone would know just what we have here. The main part(s) appear to me to be a sector---but the second scale (on each leg's left side) appears to be all out of proportion. Also, the middle leg in the pictures is fitted with what appears to be a mechanical pencil type lead holder. Further, there is a eyelet screw on one of the main legs that may or may not belong. There is no maker's mark on the thing, but the numbers are printed too uniformly to be hand drawn.

View attachment 113613
View attachment 113614
View attachment 113615
View attachment 113616
Conjecture on my part is that perhaps it is a sector that can somehow be adapted to draw ellipses. If so, how? Anyone have an idea what this devise is and how to use it?
A pantograph scaler but missing a leg.

Latest posts

Back