What I do in 124 square feet...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Howlett

Established Member
Reaction score
A little of what I do:

ChelthamShowtime.jpg

and some more:

10Complete.jpg

and next:

DSCF4200.jpg

Pete,
I've never made a single instrument but have read numerous articles and appreciate the skill and patience involved in making them. Your pics look stunning -especially the last one (from a timber perspective - no idea about the guitar!!!)

Dave

Dave

It's an electric ukulele and the wood is Hawaiian - Acacia Koa. It is a spectacular wood that costs in the region of £55 a board foot; in other words £660 a cubic foot not including shipping and import duty . Good job I only use thin slices of the stuff isn't it? :eek:

Very nice - the 'flame' on the last one, between the bridge and the neck, is amazing, especially in the middle of all that stunning ripple.

Stunning stuff, I might be going to Hawaii next year, I'll sneek some of that timber in the suitcase ;)

I have lots of this wood and it is as varied as it comes from very plain to pyscho ripple. It's amazing to work and finish. Because it grows in volcanic soil it seems to pick up those minerals and when you get a finish on it you have an unparalleled glow and sparkle. It's like satinwood at times for its radiance. It's quite tough on tools and you need to use Norton 3x sandpaper...

Love it, stunning instruments. I espiecally like the last solid-body one, and also the 2nd in from the right in the front-row with the binding, wonderful job!

What are using for the pickups in the electric? bridge piezo's?

That's a lot of good work, Pete.

Tell me about the resonator. How was it to build, compared to a standard acoustic? Did you have plans or did you wing it based on your (obviously extensive!) experience?

A guitar has been on my Want-To-Do list since I bought my first tools. I'd love a resonator but I have grave doubts that it should be my first lutherie project.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Look at these:

Reso4.jpg

Reso5.jpg

This is a very technical build because the skeleton has to fit|! Close tolerances the lot!

I had seen someone do this with another instrument so I thought :idea: - hey, I could do that. So I did :wink:

fantastic work pete i think they are tremedous and your playing skills arent to shabby either youtube link
ive told the missus to get me one of your kits for xmas
expect a call from a confused woodwork widow in the next few weeks :wink:

Back