What glue for chopping boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

La Gib

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am going to make some end grain chopping boards with some beech table legs that I have. They came from old school tables and are already quite square so ideal for the job.

I have aquired some food grade oil = tung oil and Raw linseed oil.

I am not sure which glue to use that is food safe and will be able to deal with the occasional water that may come into contact with it.

I suppose a similar glue to wood stave worktops might be all right.

Cheers Alan

Hi Alan,

I'm by no means an expert, but I seem to remember being told just to use PVA glue, (the stuff I use is called D4, under the PinkGrip brand), after a week it's OK to get water on it. And the tiny amount that you may get introduced to your food won't matter.
But I'm not sure if it will discolour beech? I might be dreaming that last bit!

I imagine someone who's 'in the know' will come along shortly and overrule my comment. :)

Cheers_Dan

Titebond 2 glue is FDA approved for indirect food use and is noted in the axy book as being very suitable for chopping boards.
Rob.

Hi

I made some beech end grain chopping boards and used titebond II, its waterproof and food safe, no problems but beware as it dries quickly, in the summer especially.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Will pick up some tomorrow.

Cheers Alan

I made some using poly glue - I don't recommend it. I ended up with unpleasantly visible glue lines. It's partly imperfect material prep, but I know that the same glue lines with TB would have almost disappeared.

Titebond III

i just built some solid ash worktops for my kitchen and used Titebond III as it is waterproof and food safe

Back