What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Raleigh Burner here. Swapped out the spoked wheels for swapsied Billy next doors Mongoose Mags (the mug) :wink: . Sweet Mags . Legends abounded that you could straighten buckled Mags in the freezer. I never ever met anyone who even came close to buckled mags.
Years passed. Then even more years. The other weekend I went to see an old mate. Still skates, still rides. Good man, fair play. Born with better knees than me I'm guessing. He has about 16 bikes, don't ask.... :roll: I spy an old bmx new to his collection in his shed. 'Don't tell me you bought another one!'
He's on the train home past the arches and sees a pair of mags in the skip of a scrappy. He phones the scrappy up who said yeh (probably in a surprised, placate the weirdo kind of way) come and get em. Couple of days later he gets off the train at Herne Hill or wherever and buys them for a couple of quid. Then he sees this bmx in a shed. How much for that mate. Pish I dunno... £30? He sold it for the other day for about a grand.

You know you're getting old when certain bmx's have become so collectible they fetch a thousand quid. :shock:

[youtube]oYdps2cQkic[/youtube]

Nice ramp. :wink:

Bm101":3uc2in0g said:
Raleigh Burner here. Swapped out the spoked wheels for swapsied Billy next doors Mongoose Mags (the mug) :wink: . Sweet Mags . Legends abounded that you could straighten buckled Mags in the freezer. I never ever met anyone who even came close to buckled mags.
Years passed. Then even more years. The other weekend I went to see an old mate. Still skates, still rides. Good man, fair play. Born with better knees than me I'm guessing. He has about 16 bikes, don't ask.... :roll: I spy an old bmx new to his collection in his shed. 'Don't tell me you bought another one!'
He's on the train home past the arches and sees a pair of mags in the skip of a scrappy. He phones the scrappy up who said yeh (probably in a surprised, placate the weirdo kind of way) come and get em. Couple of days later he gets off the train at Herne Hill or wherever and buys them for a couple of quid. Then he sees this bmx in a shed. How much for that mate. Pish I dunno... £30? He sold it for the other day for about a grand.

You know you're getting old when certain bmx's have become so collectible they fetch a thousand quid. :shock:

Is it me or are you speaking in tongues? :shock:

lol. Fair point Will. Just got a bit reminiscent there for a minute. :D

Yesterday, I reconditioned a german razor (gevoso make), honed it and got a complex migraine so that I couldn't see what I was doing once it was sharp! And then I shaved with it - surreal feeling. Couple of near misses, but not as risky as it would sound - they would've looked like cat scratches.

Spent some time knocking up a jig to sharpen turning chisels so I can finally mess around on the lathe. Jig turned out well, just need to cut a channel and get a few bolts and wing nuts to replace the clamps, but it works well. Turned a little person and tried some spindle work. Are my chisels sharp enough or is pine just a puppy to turn?
a9a63c174a70d56e4f2b108781b5afec.jpg
7e112192a606b07826de0e753ebe1886.jpg
f2744c07d826fa05aa87778656b176b6.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I treated myself to a new workbench. Beechwood, 2.1m in length.
The hardware will be ready in a fortnight or so (everyone's on holiday).

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 379
Bm101":2fanb132 said:

[youtube]oYdps2cQkic[/youtube]

:lol: :lol:

The real test of getting old is when your waist size overtakes your inside leg measurement.

Mike

whiskywill":kxhiwmkk said:
Bm101":kxhiwmkk said:

I guess you weren't between 11 and 16 in the early to mid 80's - I understood every word :) (Don't ride anymore but I do still skate on rare occasions - just not down bloody steep hills anymore!) I didn't have a BMX but a Grifter, solid and rugged; but that didn't stop me from bending the forks, had a mate with a Chromoly frame, blue mags, backpedal brakes and full 360 handlebars, I was sick with envy.

SOB never let me ride it... not even once, maybe he saw the forks of my Grifter though he wasn't there when it happened!

It's not finished, but my Lidl shop vac cyclone cart is now useable. May not be pretty but it's functional and works well, and best of its all made from mostly scraps. Also poured cement in the base to weigh it down and prevent any top heavy issues.

2e155d705d87fce9844772b8d9101a6e.jpg

(excuse the background mess)

rafezetter":298vjmcx said:
whiskywill":298vjmcx said:
Bm101":298vjmcx said:

I guess you weren't between 11 and 16 in the early to mid 80's

Correct, I was 35 and can recognise a BMX bike, but the technical stuff is way above my head.

Sawdust=manglitter":3iwr2kz1 said:
It's not finished, but my Lidl shop vac cyclone cart is now useable. May not be pretty but it's functional and works well, and best of its all made from mostly scraps. Also poured cement in the base to weigh it down and prevent any top heavy issues.

2e155d705d87fce9844772b8d9101a6e.jpg

(excuse the background mess)
Looks great, I have a pretty much identical arrangement ready to go except it's not connected together. What adapters did you use to connect it all?

Brian18741":2fooi6fo said:
Looks great, I have a pretty much identical arrangement ready to go except it's not connected together. What adapters did you use to connect it all?

No adapters. Where it was a loose fit I just packed it out with duct tape for a nice snug fit and job done. Or at least it's been fine so far

Cool, must give it a go tomorrow although I thought there was a big difference in diameters!

Putting up a couple of gate posts to the rear garden, had to shape them in the workshop first, so slightly relevant.

DSC01481.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• DSC01481.jpg
    DSC01481.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 108
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back