What cordless drill to choose from?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpfn140378

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm hunting for a decent but not too expensive drill driver or a combi driver. As it is to be used occasionally, I saw today in B&Q a Mac Alister with a lithium battery for a decent price but with only one battery. I have a preference for two batteries and talking about 2 batteries, Ryobi comes with a good price with 2 lithium batteries for around £100. Dewalt and makita for around £100 just bring nicad batteries. I probably need to wait for one of those events - 20% off in B&Q to buy a good cordless drill for a good price. 
What do you guys think about Ryobi? Does any of you use it?

Jamesc":3mkttbyj said:
A bit more expensive, but I think the Makita 18V Range is hard to beat

When I bought my Hitachi for £89, the Makita 18v was £99, but with 2x 1.3 nicads. That made it quite a lot more expensive, comparatively.

We just have to hunt around - money'll be tight come february, it'll interesting to see what's on offer then.
For general home/hobby use 1.5v lithiums are perfectly adequate, although I'd want a bit more than 1.3v nicads.

If you get the ryobi there are lots of other tools that you can buy frame only, however that kit from B & Q i believe only comes with a 3 hr charger, I bought it approx 2 mths ago when it was a tenner cheaper. bought it because the whole kit was a tenner cheaper than buying the two batteries separately

Possibly only considered semi pro but I have been using Ryobi one plus for approx six years and am only now updating my batteries

katellwood":1zdibnfk said:
If you get the ryobi there are lots of other tools that you can buy frame only, however that kit from B & Q i believe only comes with a 3 hr charger, I bought it approx 2 mths ago when it was a tenner cheaper. bought it because the whole kit was a tenner cheaper than buying the two batteries separately

Possibly only considered semi pro but I have been using Ryobi one plus for approx six years and am only now updating my batteries
I left the trade as a carpenter around ten years ago, but at that time I was using dewalt, Elu and I had only one tool from Ryobi which was an angle grinder/polisher, the blue series, that was impressively good, I used it about 4 years really hard and never let me down, I still have it sitting in the garage with other tools. Now just doing some DIY, Ryobi or something cheaper can do.

I would recommend the Ryobi 18 volt range I have been using them for the last 10 years on a processional basis and I have found them very reliable if some what heavy tools. I only tried them as quick replacement when I had tools stolen. but I have bought more since as you get good value for money. I would probably not buy the B&Q brand because of the battery replacement availabilty. The Hitachi & Makita are both good, But the cheaper Dewalts mainly for the DIY market I find are poor, very unlike their pro tools and or the old ELU range

hope this helps Rob

Rob Bacon":rhulpsfl said:
I would recommend the Ryobi 18 volt range I have been using them for the last 10 years on a processional basis and I have found them very reliable if some what heavy tools. I only tried them as quick replacement when I had tools stolen. but I have bought more since as you get good value for money. I would probably not buy the B&Q brand because of the battery replacement availabilty. The Hitachi & Makita are both good, But the cheaper Dewalts mainly for the DIY market I find are poor, very unlike their pro tools and or the old ELU range

hope this helps Rob
Thanks for the advice, Hitachi sounds good to me and not too expensive. The AEG from B&Q, I will have a look at it tonight. I thought AEG was some cheap brand but today someone told me that they used to be good a few years ago. Anyone uses AEG here? 

I bought the Hitachi 18v with two lithium ion batteries from Screwfix a couple of months ago - I thought it was good value at £99. It's probably the same one as was available at B&Q - they are owned by the same company - but it's worth looking at Screwfix as they will usually have an attractive deal on on something similar.

AndyT":23qsjslq said:
I bought the Hitachi 18v with two lithium ion batteries from Screwfix a couple of months ago - I thought it was good value at £99. It's probably the same one as was available at B&Q - they are owned by the same company - but it's worth looking at Screwfix as they will usually have an attractive deal on on something similar.
B&Q sells the Hitachi DV18DCL2 together with another one (pack of 2) which makes it a bit expensive for me. AEG sounds nice for me. I probably will wait for some promotion in B&Q tools

The truth is if you are not going to use it often don't buy cordless the batteries will not last long without regular use and will be flat every time you have a quick simple job to do.

I've got an Axion set with two drill/drivers (one 10.8V, one 18V) plus a torch and 2 batteries for each from Axminster.

I couldn't find that package when I looked just now, but the 18V one is available with 3 18V 1.3Ah Li-Ion batteries for £68.80 at the moment (down from 128.80)

It has 2 speeds, various torque settings, an impact setting, a light and an LED battery indicator and has done everything I've asked of it so far.

I love Li-Ion - not having to mess about charging before use is SO nice after Ni-Cad and Ni-Mh.

jaywhoopee":34nut46z said:
I've got an Axion set with two drill/drivers (one 10.8V, one 18V) plus a torch and 2 batteries for each from Axminster.

I couldn't find that package when I looked just now, but the 18V one is available with 3 18V 1.3Ah Li-Ion batteries for £68.80 at the moment (down from 128.80)
It has 2 speeds, various torque settings, an impact setting, a light and an LED battery indicator and has done everything I've asked of it so far.

I love Li-Ion - not having to mess about charging before use is SO nice after Ni-Cad and Ni-Mh.
I had a look at the drill. It is in a good price I have to say. I noticed in the beginning of the video that when the drill is working the chuck looks a bit misaligned. How about yours?

rpfn140378":14bctz1x said:
I had a look at the drill. It is in a good price I have to say. I noticed in the beginning of the video that when the drill is working the chuck looks a bit misaligned. How about yours?

I wouldn't say it was a precision piece of kit (I've just been out staring at my longest drill rotating until my eyes went funny and there's perhaps a slight twitch), but I've not noticed any problems in use and I'm confident that Axminster will sort them out if I ever do.

For me the choice was the Axion or wait a few more years for Li-Ion from better manufacturers to come down in price and I don't regret my decision.

I too have just bought the Axion, based just on price and Axminster's reputation as I didn't have time to ask opinions. 3XLi-ion at £68 seemed too good to miss, and I'm pig sick of NiCd batteries that in this day and age should be regarded as unfit for purpose.

If you're only using it occasionally then I would recommend Ni Cad. they can be stored indefinately and will take 1000 cycles with a good hour charger or up to 3000 with a 15 min pulse charger. You have to follow the proper charging regime; never run flat -charge when they weaken .Don't stall the drill overloading it or 'winching' in huge lag bolts.Don't 'top up' batteries
You might want to ask a few long term Lithium users opinions - the chemicals in them degrade with time
Matt

Shrubby":200qt29g said:
If you're only using it occasionally then I would recommend Ni Cad. they can be stored indefinately and will take 1000 cycles with a good hour charger or up to 3000 with a 15 min pulse charger. You have to follow the proper charging regime; never run flat -charge when they weaken .Don't stall the drill overloading it or 'winching' in huge lag bolts.Don't 'top up' batteries
You might want to ask a few long term Lithium users opinions - the chemicals in them degrade with time
Matt
That is a very curious advice from you. Everyone keeps saying to go for the lithium batteries because they are kind of last forever.

It's not curious. I'm just not a sucker for 'new improved' when it isn't suitable. My own drills are all Ni cad .They use sanyo cadnica cells and 15 min pulse chargers - Bosch/Makita/festo
Do your homework and look into the total working lifespan of these technologies.There is a lot of marketing hype and old wives tales surrounding cordless tools
Matt

I don't think anyone believes Li-Ion lives forever, but in terms of memory and self discharge (particularly the latter) they are far superior for my needs (sporadic use at a moments notice).

If you're using them daily, draining them before charging, have enough batteries (or a fast enough charger, although fast charging can shorten battery life) and enough self discipline (or a timer) to charge them "just in time" then I'd happily accept that there may be very little difference and there would be a major cost benefit of avoiding Li-Ion.

In my case, my old Ni-Cad and Ni-Mh batteries weren't holding a charge for more than a few minutes, so I felt I had 3 choices (other than not replacing them and using mains/hand power):

1/ Ni-Cad or Ni-Mh from a "good" manufacturer (+ve: option to buy Li-Ion batteries later if/when prices drop, -ve: memory and self discharge, particularly given my usage pattern)

2/ Li-Ion from a "good" manufacturer (-ve: price, which would limit the number of spare batteries I could afford)

3/ The Axion kit (-ve: build quality, possibly limited availability of spares, +ve price/bang for buck, 2 drills, 4 batteries in my kit, no memory or self discharge)

I chose what worked for me and have no regrets but, as with most things, other people can make a different decision and still be right :)

I've added a brief review of the Axion here

I have no experience with lithium batteries, but a lot with Makita nicads. My first drill driver was a Makita 9.6V and the batteries lasted years. but we were using them every day and charging them as we went. that one was stolen after about 10 years, just after I'd bought replacement batteries for it. I then bought a Makita 18v with 3 batteries, and 2 ferm from Screwfix. The Ferms lasted for about a year or a year and a half, the batteries went. The Makita is still going about 6 years later, one of the batteries has gone, and we now have another Makita which is equally good.. It's very important to charge the batteries as soon as they go flat, but I rate Makita Nicads in a working situation.
As powertools says cordless is for regular use. I don't know whether the lithium batteries are better in this respect? We use them all the time for assembling furniture and fixing it to the wall, normally we use only this drill.unless the wall is reinforced concrete. Makita from Screwfis is nearly always at a great price. seriously consider it.

Back