What chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roggatismus

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to get a chuck that can expand into a dovetail when im making bowls. And that can also fit onto faceplate rings.

Which one should i get?

I have a ¾" x 16TPI spindle and im not sure which chuck does what.

Any help welcomed.

Lower prices are more welcome with my low budget! :roll:

Also my faceplate is not true. So the work keeps wobbling and its hard to turn well. what can i do

Hi roggatismus, I have a SuperNova 2 with 50mm standard jaws and also a faceplate that fits into the dovetail on the jaws. I think that the Sorby Patriot and some of the Axminster chucks also have this arrangement. I am sure some of the other forum members can give further examples.

Regards,

Mike C

The patriot is perfect IMHO. I think it's the most reasonably priced considering you get the screw chuck, 50mm jaws and chuck key, plus it's made in Britain by a company who aren't likely to be going anywhere. I'm guessing you don't have the budget for Vicmarc or OneWay which are the only other 2 chucks i'd now consider.

define reasonably priced?

and would it be an idea to go for second hand from the norfolk woodturners club or something?

Hi

As for which chuck - my two are Axminsters and take their jaw sets, I've not tried any others. But can I assume that by enquiring about faceplate rings, that would be for the initial bowl work - the outside and making the foot ring?

Have you considered a chuck system with a screw chuck?.... basically a disc of metal with a screw thread protruding that fits into the dovetail of the chuck.

The beauty of going that way is that you drill the hole in the blank, to the approximate depth of the bowl, which gives you a depth guide when hollowing the bowl. + when you've mounted it and turned the outside and formed the footring, all you need to do is take that off the screw chuck, remove the screw chuck from the chuck and reverse the bowl straight into the dovedail of the chuck and away you go.

Hope that made some sense

Chris.

Axminster examples:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... -23250.htm

Only a few weeks ago I purchased a Versachuck with a 3/4 x 16 threaded backplate for my Record CL3 from The Toolpost.

I have been very pleased with the performance.

It does not shine like the Patriot nor does it have the little Red band but it does have, like its name, versatility.

I have produced several commissions on the chuck and am settling into making the dozens of napkin rings again after the trauma of my old chuck disintegrating!

Please get information on as many chucks as possible before deciding, contact the manufacturers, we are all biased one way or the other but will help if we can!

Regards, Peter.

Have a look on Ebay as there are quite a few available, I was looking at the fox fx4000 but it isn't around in my thread size... as you say your on a budget this is a scroll chuck that comes with a screw chuck insert, there are extras available (Not sure about face plate rings, other brands could fit?) also just search under woodturning chuck on Ebay and all will be revealed! item number 370116631412 is a chuck from Axminster power tool centre that comes with 4 sets of jaws and a screw chuck insert and an adaptor to fit your lathe, hope you find what your looking for.

at present the 370116631412 on ebay seems the best but im not sure how big i can make my work with that?

It says perfect for minature turning...

Remind me what lathe you have Rog ? I'd not recommend going for a miniature chuck. If you ever upgrade or when you want to turn bigger stuff then you'll have to buy a whole new chuck. Go with the Patriot, it will turn minature and moderate sized turnings. Save for another month or two if you have to, you will not regret it.

i have the cwl12d lathe by clarke. im having trouble with wobbling too. how can this be solved do you know?

If money stretches go for the patriot chuck so when you upgrade the lathe you can always use the patriot with all the inserts available

What exacly is wobbling? Does it only wobble with the facepate on? What about with the face plate but no wood? Or will it do it with nothing mounted at all?

when i go to a high speed the lathe shakes

and also the faceplace is not true i dont think. where can i get a decent one that isnt rubbish like the clarke ones?

both faceplates ive had from clarke have been bad, one broke!

Back