What Bandsaw Blade now...?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't wish to appear insensitive in the light of the problems at Dragon Saws, but I need a new bandsaw blade for resawing some chestnut.

Who should I use now?

regards

Brian

This is going to be a something of a problem for sure Brian.

I wonder if the administrators of Dragon will salvage the bandsaw arm of the business and that this will rise like a phonenix from the ashes.

What little I know, other than the excellent product and service provided by Ian. A business opportunity may yet emerge.

Tony.

Escudo":2eqqz2xx said:

I admire the forums loyalty and I'm sure Ian ran a decent company but there are lots of other companies out there who provide an excellent service with competative prices.

I have some duredge and they seem to be excellent, i'm not too sure if they are still in business, a friend and some other forum members use Hamilton edge with glowing reports.

Doctor":21njjcth said:
Escudo":21njjcth said:

I admire the forums loyalty and I'm sure Ian ran a decent company but there are lots of other companies out there who provide an excellent service with competative prices.

Quite.

Bandsaw blades seem to be a particular favourite for this obsession.

I am sure (or at least I hope) Ian will be back to offer his terrific service.

brianhabby":rejjpm91 said:
Don't wish to appear insensitive in the light of the problems at Dragon Saws, but I need a new bandsaw blade for resawing some chestnut.

Who should I use now?

regards

Brian

The last time I advocated this advice I was admonished by one of the mods but I'll risk it again, try Bedford saws.

Regards,

Rich.

Rich":mr92swv9 said:
The last time I advocated this advice I was admonished by one of the mods but I'll risk it again, try Bedford saws.

Don't see why you should be admonished for making a recommendation, after all that's one of the functions of a forum such as this. Anyway thanks for that.

I've actually ordered a couple of blades from Hamilton Edge in Cwmbran so we'll wait & see how they behave.

Thanks to everyone who has made recommendations so far, might be worth keeping them all on file for future reference.

regards

Brian

I've been using Hamilton Edge blades for my Basato 3 for some time now and I am more than happy with the blades performance.

John. B

I've used Hamilton Edge and Dure Edge and wouldn't hesitate to use either of them again. Indeed, before Ian came along, Dure Edge were the recognized Place To Go. They did stop supplying for a while (I think they were not making enough margin on them to make it worthwhile) but, although I've not bought any blades for quite a while now, they were operational last time I looked.

Bandsaw blades are not expensive and the trouble with selling anything which is fairly low-cost and which is sold one at a time is that you have to sell gazillions of them to make any money. DAMHIKT.

I hope Ian can find a way forward.

Cheers
Steve

joiner_sim":3o5hs0ia said:
For in the Birmingham & Surrounding area, try Precise Saws.

Thanks for the tip :D

Called them this morning and picked up some new blades this afternoon.

Excellent service, will certainly use again.

My vote is for Haakansson blades from Tilgear. Seem well priced and effective. But one of the local saw doctors sells Dakin Flather, so will probably try them next.
Not sure I'd agree with Steve that bandsaw blades are "cheap". They represent my biggest consumable cost by a long way.

Brian,

When I worked out of Kinmel Bay I used to use a company in Llandudno Junction for bandsaw blades and sharpening services and was about to suggest them; however upon checking they don't seem to exist anymore.

Looks like there's a theme developing here...

Steve Maskery":22xmkjxc said:
I've used Hamilton Edge and Dure Edge and wouldn't hesitate to use either of them again. Indeed, before Ian came along, Dure Edge were the recognized Place To Go. They did stop supplying for a while (I think they were not making enough margin on them to make it worthwhile) but, although I've not bought any blades for quite a while now, they were operational last time I looked.

Bandsaw blades are not expensive and the trouble with selling anything which is fairly low-cost and which is sold one at a time is that you have to sell gazillions of them to make any money. DAMHIKT.

I hope Ian can find a way forward.

Cheers
Steve

Good points, Steve.

However, given Ian's excellent reputation for quality and service and the amount of goodwill he appears to have generated, I suspect that he has a viable model for a small scale, low cost business - provided he is happy to spend the rest of his days welding bandsaw blades and sticking them in Jiffy bags! :lol:

At least he now has the perfect opportunity for raising his prices (and margins) and for insisting on a minimum order of say 3 blades. Who could argue?

The Doc is quite right about other suppliers, however. We are lucky enough to have an old-style saw doctor 5 minutes away from our workshop who makes our bandsaw blades to order within a day or so, as well as doing all our sharpening and spindle tooling.

He seems to be doing OK. It must be largely because he is in a major conurbation with planty of industry on his doorstep requiring his services. He takes about £100 per month off us and we're very small fry.

Cheers
Duncan

I've tried several suppliers but now use a meat and fish blade by Hakansson from a company called Sharpquip; cost is about £10 and it has lasted longer than any other I've tried.

Here's the address
sharpquip
No connection except happy customer.

David Ward

nimmaj":2kx35zko said:
Does anyone know of a website for dure edge or hamilton blades?

I found http://www.hamiltonedge.com/ but it doesn't seem to work on a mac - either in safari, firefox or opera.

Cheers,

Ben

I think duredge ceased trading at the end of last year. I'm using axminsters axcalibur blades and they seem to be perfectly okay to me - but then i never used dragon so i dont know if i'm missing something.

nimmaj":2j4ri9mu said:
Does anyone know of a website for dure edge
They have never had one, if you do a search on the forum you should be able to find a phone number. They did stop selling band saw blades for a time, but IIRC they have been doing so again. I have never used them.

DaveL":d27ex8kl said:
nimmaj":d27ex8kl said:
Does anyone know of a website for dure edge
They have never had one, if you do a search on the forum you should be able to find a phone number. They did stop selling band saw blades for a time, but IIRC they have been doing so again. I have never used them.

IIRC the two phone numbers for duredge are 08702-252337 and
0161 430 2647 - I dont think the latter one still works but it might be worth trying as it ought to be cheaper than 0870.

Well, ordered a couple of rip blades from Hamilton Edge earlier this week after a bit of effort.

Googled for them and they don't appear to have a working website, but found them through Kellysearch and used that to email them an enquiry on Monday this week. Had no response back till Wednesday, by which time I had given up and phoned the order in on Tuesday instead !

Had hoped to have the blades before the weekend but unfortunately still waiting........

No doubt they will arrive shortly and I expect they will be fine, but not a very satisfying experience so far unfortunately, but perhaps I'm just impatient :roll: .......

Cheers, Paul :D

Back