• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

What are they called?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
One wooden handle fell off my Bahco shears t'other day. Seems that a couple of bits of metal have fallen out. They were half-round in cross section, and tapered. Like a wedge. (SWMBO: Oh, yes, they felt loose and I think something fell out while I was cutting next door's shrubbery for her. I did not look for them as they were not important.).

I could bodge something from scrap timber, but I though maybe I will look for the 'proper bits'. I have no idea what they are called. Handle wedges?

Anyone know?

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Half round tapered wedges................no, seriously, I use the two part plugging resin that you get for studs, eyes etc. for that type of thing - once it's there it's there.

Mike-W

Established Member
Reaction score
Could it be a Woodruff key?
Although that might be a bit 'over engineered' for hand tools.

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
Mike-W":lpast6x3 said:
Good thought, but no - I just looked up woodruff key on wikipedia (I had heard of them but had no idea what they were).

It may be that there is no name for the piece....

Peter T

Established Member
Reaction score
Mike-W":18ips6k8 said:
A Woodruff key is normally a semi-circular metal key, named after Mr. W. N. Woodruff, used to fix a gear or pulley to a rotating shaft.

The shaft would have a less than semi-circular cutout into which the key would sit, leaving the top part standing proud of the shaft. The gear or pulley would have a slot that would fit over this, locking the two parts together.