What are they called?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
One wooden handle fell off my Bahco shears t'other day. Seems that a couple of bits of metal have fallen out. They were half-round in cross section, and tapered. Like a wedge. (SWMBO: Oh, yes, they felt loose and I think something fell out while I was cutting next door's shrubbery for her. I did not look for them as they were not important.).

I could bodge something from scrap timber, but I though maybe I will look for the 'proper bits'. I have no idea what they are called. Handle wedges?

Anyone know?

Mike-W":lpast6x3 said:
Could it be a Woodruff key?
Although that might be a bit 'over engineered' for hand tools.

Good thought, but no - I just looked up woodruff key on wikipedia (I had heard of them but had no idea what they were).

It may be that there is no name for the piece....

Mike-W":18ips6k8 said:
Could it be a Woodruff key?
Although that might be a bit 'over engineered' for hand tools.

A Woodruff key is normally a semi-circular metal key, named after Mr. W. N. Woodruff, used to fix a gear or pulley to a rotating shaft.

The shaft would have a less than semi-circular cutout into which the key would sit, leaving the top part standing proud of the shaft. The gear or pulley would have a slot that would fit over this, locking the two parts together.

Back