What are these? Lathe tools?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyEssex

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I was given a big box of tools today and there are some bits in there that I haven't a clue what they are for. There are some turning chisels and a few router cutter sets, but also these

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20140406_182026.jpg
    20140406_182026.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 1,186
  • 20140406_181937.jpg
    20140406_181937.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 1,186
Hi

Yes, woodturning tools. The curved ones in the top photo are 'bowl savers', quite sought after :wink: :wink:

Regards Mick

The top picture is a Kel Mcnaughton Bowl Saving System (quite pricey)
A bowl gauge is also shown in the bottom of the first picture.

The rest are various wood turning tools all very handy and Record are a decent make.

Vic

As said, the top pic are quite expensive coring or bowl saver tools, with the handles to use them, and the bottom item in the first pic is a good quality bowl gouge, again for use with the same handles.

Bottom pic looks like some cheap carbon steel Record turning tools, nothing special but not without use for turners.

Cheers, Paul

Thanks again.

When you say pricey, what kind of pricey? I dont have a lathe and don't have any thoughts to buy one. If I was to put them on ebay could you guys give me a rough idea on what to start them at?

Sorry if its a taboo subject but I have no idea, and cannot find anything similar on ebay to gauge a price

The Bowl saver cutters should have a 'gate' to guide the cutters, make sure it's not skulking around in the bottom of a box looking un-interesting.
Combo_CS_450w.jpg

CHJ":9h02ihyx said:
The Bowl saver cutters should have a 'gate' to guide the cutter make sure it's not skulking around in the bottom of a box looking un-interesting.
Combo_CS_450w.jpg
Just checked and there isn't a gate, or anything else. Would that make them useless now?

Sorry for this, I hate asking these sort of questions and this will be my last one, but do you think I would be able to get enough to buy a half decent router for a beginner?

If this sort of thing cant be asked on the forum, sorry :oops:

DannyEssex":p9s1xfy7 said:
Sorry for this, I hate asking these sort of questions and this will be my last one, but do you think I would be able to get enough to buy a half decent router for a beginner?

If this sort of thing cant be asked on the forum, sorry :oops:

I would think so put the lot up as a job lot

Danny...

Why don't you take into account what you paid for them, Then decide on a price you'd like and if there's going to be a fair profit? You can always come down and accept sensible lower offers. In my estimation, you can't really get a decent router for less than £200.00, but you may be able to find something that will serve you well whilst you learn how to use it. Even a Black and Decker!

Why not ask for a swop here first. You have used bowl savers worth say £150 + someone may want them in exchange for a good used router or even routers. Worth a try.

Al

Vic Perrin":2chcpip9 said:
The top picture is a Kel Mcnaughton Bowl Saving System (quite pricey)
A bowl gauge is also shown in the bottom of the first picture.

The rest are various wood turning tools all very handy and Record are a decent make.

Vic

The tool rest is missing for the McNaughton system. Which pretty much renders it useless

Latest posts

Back