what are these hinges called ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cisamcgu

Established Member
Reaction score
I am trying to think of ways to make an extending/folding kitchen table for my daughter. I have come across this which looks like it might be something I could copy/amend but the hinges confuse me - what are they called and would they stick out once the leaf is folder up ?

1678462521692.png

1678462547681.png

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Andrew

Soss hinges. They protrude as illustrated in your images, but the mechanism is hidden when the leaf is folded out flat. Slainte.

I think you want counter flap hinges. they will be visible but nice brass ones look quite smart and don't protrude.

cisamcgu,
A different approach would be to use a "rule joint" where the flaps hang down when not needed. Try illustrations of a rule joint or Pembroke Table in google, you will find YouTube videos on the subject. The hinges are on the underside and thus not visible. The rule joint means there is no ugly gap when flaps are down.

@XTiffy - that is what I am thinking about now, but the engineering is significantly more complex that the original table. My furniture making skills are pretty rudimentary really :)

I will continue to ponder.... or maybe see if anyone can make it for me

Extending table runners are something that you can buy. We have just bought a table that uses something similar and it makes for a fairly simple construct. Ours has a butterfly folding section in the middle, but you can just have an additional leaf you put into place too

Sean

Cisamcgu,
The construction of a draw leaf table is very simple, each leaf has two tapered bearers on the underside of the leaf. As you pull on the leaf, the taper causes the centre section to rise slightly, the taper keeps the leaf level with the centre section, which drops back down. In short a very simple DIY construction.
Look on the internet, I am sure you will find details of construction.

I am trying to think of ways to make an extending/folding kitchen table for my daughter. I have come across this which looks like it might be something I could copy/amend but the hinges confuse me - what are they called and would they stick out once the leaf is folder up ?

View attachment 154856

View attachment 154857

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Andrew
Better with drop leaves so best face is only on one, not both sides, and dropped down leaves a single board on top, instead of two.
Also frees up the design in that drop leaves can be different size and don't have to fit the top.
Google "butterfly" table for one extreme - small top large leaves.

Last edited:
@Jacob - many thanks, but I think my daughter has decided against a drop leaf design, so I am probably going to look at an additional leaf that can be "dropped" into the middle when the two sides are pulled apart

Latest posts

Back