What are these ‘curved washers’ called?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams93

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
What is the name of (and where would I obtain) washers like number 31 in the diagram attached?

They are used to obtain a square profile interface from a metal rod?

Thanks!
6EFB6291-E8C3-44A4-BA1E-A2784E2F7603.png

Hey Sam
If you're stuck you can use a modified nut. You'd need a metal vice and angle grinder and the curve you cut can be adjusted by changing to a worn grinding disk if necessary, you might get away with a Dremel at a push or even a round or half round file. I did something similar to modify one of those 4 wheeled garden barrows.

Searching for "saddle washers" will get you round ones and adding square to it will get you a few.

Pete

Unless I am missing something a round one would work the same.

If it's a woodworking machine try looking on the Miles Tool site they carry many nuts bolts and parts for a lot of old machines plus parts drawings to help identify. What is it off machine wise

If it's a woodworking machine try looking on the Miles Tool site they carry many nuts bolts and parts for a lot of old machines plus parts drawings to help identify. What is it off machine wise
I have restored a kity planer and it needs a fence made for it. The original one in the diagram (missing from my machine) was a piece of bent steel, attached to a 20mm rod.

I'm reluctant to copy the original design as it looks quite flimsy, however the 20mm rod bit I will stick with as the parts for that are present on my machine. I wanted these 'square saddle washers' to form the interface for the fence assembly I will make to attach to the rod. Having briefly had a look at the cost of the washers on the internet I suspect I will end up going down the line of filing the end of the rod flat instead!!!

Am deciding whether to use solid 20mm rod (£8.99) or 3mm wall 20mm steel tube (£12). I think both will be plenty strong enough, obviously there would be some weight saving with the tube but confusingly it is more expensive...

I have restored a kity planer and it needs a fence made for it. The original one in the diagram (missing from my machine) was a piece of bent steel, attached to a 20mm rod.

I'm reluctant to copy the original design as it looks quite flimsy, however the 20mm rod bit I will stick with as the parts for that are present on my machine. I wanted these 'square saddle washers' to form the interface for the fence assembly I will make to attach to the rod. Having briefly had a look at the cost of the washers on the internet I suspect I will end up going down the line of filing the end of the rod flat instead!!!

Am deciding whether to use solid 20mm rod (£8.99) or 3mm wall 20mm steel tube (£12). I think both will be plenty strong enough, obviously there would be some weight saving with the tube but confusingly it is more expensive...
Holes aren't cheap you know

They used solid bar because it has slots machined in the end for the hinge. Tube is stronger, assuming it's cold drawn (CDS), and not the rolled and welded variety, but solid bar will be more than strong enough for this job. If you know anyone with a lathe it would be easy enough to make your shaped washers by just boring out a piece of square bar, then you just have to cut it in half.

And when you think about the strength of the components, don't forget the whole thing is held in by a cast alloy clamp. You really don't need to worry about the strength of the bar, even a piece of bright mild 20mm bar is many times stronger than the bracket that holds it on the machine. I remember a conversation with a chap about using stainless nuts and bolts etc to restore a motorcycle. He didn't use them as someone had told him they weren't high tensile, which is quite true. But as I pointed out, if they are just screwing into an alloy engine case or whatever, how high tensile is that? Different matter if you are talking about a through bolt with a nut on the other end, sometimes they really do need to be HT, but if they're just holding the mudguards on then really not an issue.

Back