What annoys you about Norm?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What annoys you about Norms Techniques?

• His use of a nail gun?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • His use of biscuits?

• His never ending supply of clamps?

• He rarely shows you different techniques as we all don't have a shop like Norm?

• His finishing Practice?

• His use of a dado Cutter?

• Total voters
Not voting as nothing annoys me about Norm.

Ok, I'd rather not see a nicely built wooden project get the full paint-job treatment, but normally that's when it's a reproduction of a painted period piece anyway.

I wouldn't be interested in woodworking now if I hadn't been flicking through the channels a couple of years ago and stopped to watch what I thought was an old Kenny Everett show 'Reg Prescott' sketch. It turned out of course to be Norm and every show is an inspiration in some way or another.

It would be nice to see a series that concentrates more on hand-portable equipment techniques, as I personally have only a very small shop and smaller budget, but again, that's no criticism of Norm.

Long may the sawdust fly! :D

V.

Bit of trivia. Young Norm arrived one day at Russel Morash's house (producer) as a chippy to do some work around his house. Morash had an idea for a DIY programme or similar and he asked what Norm thought. That was over 20 years ago. Not bad. Morash's wife is or was the US version of Delia Smith and had her own cookery series at the time.
That's the gist of the story, anyway.

Noel

Maybe his (over) use of air nailers.
But I'm with most of you, build and let build. I know several people who got into woodworking because of his shows, and that's great. One comment I'll never forget, by Bob Smalser, goes something like "Expensive storage of firewood kindling for the next generation."
Frank

Actually, pretty much everything annoys me about Norm, so I'm not voting...

I can no longer watch NYW - I'm part of the generation that grew up half way between metric and imperial, though I'm more metric than "old fashioned" ( :D ), and Norm going on about 1/8th, 1/16th and so on just sends my head into a spin.

Then there's the 'I want to make this, so I'll just go onto this dedicated this-maker machine'.

and I'm not going to go on for fear of flame wars...

But I will give Norm this - he was an inspiration for getting into the hobby, way back when. Although I did prefer Wood Works, with Anton Fitzpatrick - British, and a judicious mix of power and hand tools.

Differently huh.??

well......OK....I can do lists....

Wood prep...
I'm all handraulic thesedays cos I don't have the shop space, the machines nor the budget to use big enough wood munchers... I buy waney edge straight from the mill cos that's what they sell...
SWMBO objects when I start using the hall and bathroom as outfeed area...

Construction...
I don't own a single pipe clamp or Bessy K body...
Don't own or need any air powered toys
Seldom use any powered sanders
Don't use a RAS, bandsaw (yet) or dado cutter.... all the above are due to cost or space limitations...

I'll route and / or chisel a mortice rather than use a dedicated mortiser, hand saw, route and plane their tenons rather than use a tenoning jig...

I built his router table, tried it, modified it and now can't see a project that won't use it for the bulk of the construction elements.

Our tastes in finish...ummmmm.... "differ"...

enough to be getting on with....???

ES the reason Norm goes on about 1/16th and 1/8th etc is because they still use feet and inches in the good old US of A.

Regards

Woody

Alf":ni7pgnc2 said:
derek681":ni7pgnc2 said:
Philly":ni7pgnc2 said:
To sum up-He's the second most famous carpenter in the world-what more do you want?
You've got me wondering now who is the first?
Bloke with a beard, good line in miracles, excellent for al fresco catering on mountain tops when there's only a couple of fish and some baguettes to be had and the whole family's coming for lunch. Tended to avoid getting his feet wet and good for a parable or two.
That's cheating :lol:. If you are allowing woodworkers who are famous but NOT for being woodworkers then shouldn't [ex]President Jimmy Carter get a look in? December's FW has more details. Surely more people know of him then Norm. There might well be few others as well if only we knew.

Andrew

"President Jimmy Carter get a look in? December's FW has more details. Surely more people know of him then Norm. There might well be few others as well if only we knew" Nah, nice guy Jimmy and going by the pictures some good projects.
Harrison Ford was or is into WW. Did all his own frame building stunts and mortices in "Witness". And then there is......can't think of anybody else.

Noel

President Jimmy Carter get a look in

don't see why not; he helped prevent the China Syndrome at Long Island... surely that's the equal of walking on water ;)

I hear he's done some outstanding work for HFH too... a pres with rolled up sleeves breakin sweat with the rest of the grunts.. whodathunk it....???

Harrison Ford was or is into WW. Did all his own frame building stunts and mortices in "Witness". And then there is......can't think of anybody else.

I think he used to be a carpenter. And then there's Adrian Edmondson - who apparently can't get anough of the NYW and Norm!!

Cheers

Gidon

andrewm":3hkjsano said:
That's cheating :lol:. If you are allowing woodworkers who are famous but NOT for being woodworkers
How d'you know he wasn't famous for his woodwork at the time? Maybe he was the talk of Nazareth? "Wow, that Jesus eh? You seen his mortise and tenons? Lovely close-fitting joints. Too bad he's taken a break to go in for Messiah-ing really; the missus wanted a new sideboard."

Philip Pullman's another one, and Peter the Great was a bit of a dab hand with a lathe wasn't he? 'Course if we're talking famous carpenters obviously we mustn't forget Karen or Harry...

I'll get me coat. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

I don't know if it qualifies as woodwork, but Gladstone loved to chop down trees. Apparently, he was doing this once when a messenger came to tell him that he'd been appointed as Prime Minister. His reply was, "My first duty is to pacify Ireland".

Strange chappie. He had a proclivity for walking the red light districts of London too, and trying to save fallen women. At least, that was his story :wink:.

Gill

And I believe Noah did quite a bit of WW. And quite successful too.

Noel

The thing that annoys me most about Norm is that I forgot to set the video recorder on monday and Tuesday this week :evil:

Don't worry Tony, it's be on again as there's only 12 shows a season.

Noel

Anyone been watching the new series? Norms been getting experimental........
He's been:
Using a Japanese pull saw
Doing some carving using gouges (not a power tool in sight!)
Cutting mortises using hammer and chisel (no router!)
Using shellac, glazes and wipe on poly for finishing (plastic finishes a thing of the past? :shock: )
Building a windsor chair
Building a monster 9ft x 4ft mahogany dining table!

Have to say, its been fun to watch so far. He's obviously been reading FWW when it comes to finishes and addressing some of the "never uses hans tools" criticism.
What A Guy! :roll:
Cheers
Philly

Yeah, I almost fell off the sofa when the Japanese saw came out!

I missed the dining table - must have been Monday? Wanted to see that one :(

I noticed that he is sporting a new power tool which you'll have to add to your purchase list immediately, Philly :p - a hand-held oscillating spindle sander :roll:
I wonder if that rather sad Normite has added it to his site on Norm's tools yet... yes, here it is - I expect a gloat by next week at the latest, Philly :p

Cheers,

Neil

Back