what am i doing wrong

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan wells

Reaction score
is it me, probably
when using my bench jointer to edge plane boards up ready for glueing they usually end up being planed ever so slighlty concave instead of a true flat edge.
i think i'm passing the wood over the blocks ok, transferring my weight to the outfeed table just after the front end of the wood has passed over the cutter blocks
is it the way i'm doing it it or could it be a problem with the infeed outfeed table

please help

Alan, one thing you could check is there a difference in heights of the outfeed table and the knives, they should be about the same with the knives being a thou or 2 higher, if it's too high this could cause the unflatness of the timber.
I think thats right, if not someone with more experience will no doubt explain it correctly.

i did try adjusting the blades, using the old stick method, placing i bitof 2x1 over the cutter blocks,making a mark on the stick at the edge of the outfeed table, making a second mark 4 mm back from that, rotating the cutter block via the belt and adjusting the cutter depth untill the stick is moved towards the infeed table untill the second mark on the stick again lines up with the edge of the outfeed table, but all this did was give me snipe at the beginning and end of the work piece as well as the concave cut, perhaps the blades were too high to start with.

alan wells":l4l5humu said:
i did try adjusting the blades, using the old stick method, placing i bitof 2x1 over the cutter blocks,making a mark on the stick at the edge of the outfeed table, making a second mark 4 mm back from that, rotating the cutter block via the belt and adjusting the cutter depth untill the stick is moved towards the infeed table untill the second mark on the stick again lines up with the edge of the outfeed table, but all this did was give me snipe at the beginning and end of the work piece as well as the concave cut, perhaps the blades were too high to start with.
If you were getting snipe at the front suggest that the outfeed is to high.

Try lowering the blades ever so slightly in reference to the outfeed table. I used to get snipe on mine until I adjusted it and now it's perfect.

my planer is the REXON 155mm job from B&Q so i'm unable to adjust the outfeed table height, but i'll trying lowering the blades to get rid of the snipe, that'll just leave the concave cut

such joy

Alan,

The second mark you made on the timber stick at 4mm imho is to great.
Try a mark at 2mm instead.

I assume you can alter the infeed table height, if so align the infeed table with the outfeed table so that they are both at the same height and then use a good straight edge across both tables and see if there is any mis alignment anywhere. If there is, have a look to see if there is any adjustment you can make on the tables to correct this.

When you say you are transferring the weight onto the outfeed as soon as the front of the timber comes onto the outfeed table. Are you still keeping downward pressure on the infeed side equally. And finally are the blades very sharp ??.

hope this helps

thanks

i'll try these things over the weekeend and post a reply, i have checked the two tables with a straight end and there is a gap at the far end of the outfeed table

Edit to add, I was typing when you posted your last entry. You've found the problem.

Something no one has suggested but I think you should check is whether or not the outfeed table parallel to the infeed table. If the far end of the outfeed table is lower than the knife end, you'll get a concave edge. If it is higher, you get a convex cut.

Set the infeed table to the height of the knives and roll the head so there's no exposed knife. Then lay a straight edge on the tables and check to see if the outfeed table droops away. If it does, you need to shim it up a bit.

You should also check that the tables are parallel to each other in the other direction as well. You can do as you would when checking for twist in a board by using winding sticks. Check one table at a time and then the two together.

And when you have got yours sorted out you can fix up mine as well, I've got snipe again.I had to use my jack plane today, I didnt fancy a couple of hours adjusting at the P/T with todays damp cold weather.

I had a similar problem with the Perform planer that I bought about a year ago. I tried all sorts to fix the problem and finally decided to loosen the bolts holding the outfeed table and put shims in to bring the far end of it upto the same level as the infeed table.

It was a bit fiddly but it fixed the problem. I keep the high point of the blade travel at the same height as the outfeed table and I now get straight edges.

You can adjust the outfeed tables on these 6" jointer/planners,the Rexon and Axminster are the same. Take off the bottom, you will see 4 cap head bolts, these can be adjusted to make the two tables co-planer. Just be careful turning the unit upside down try not to put any load on the plastic casing, and do not lift the full weight by the two table ends, or any adjustments will be worthless.

Back