What acrylic varnish brands do you use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8Balls

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be varnishing some Poplar plywood for internal shelving and was heading towards acrylic varnish, just wondering what brands people go for?

(y)

Tbh, for internal work, I've not found much differences between brands and own-brands. I just look for clear, water based, eggshell finish, interior acrylic varnish. The only caveat I would apply is if you place plastic items (pvc) on the finished surface they tend to cling/stick.... Not permanently or in a harmful way, but noticeable. Probably plasticiser migration from the pvc. Otherwise the finish is durable. I also tend to use it as a sealing coat on any ply or mdf as soon as I get it - it hardens up surfaces and edges and limits marks and stains during work. Hth.

le tonkinois is my favourite varnish, it's quite glossy though but very durable.

I've used the Screwfix no nonsense brand and the Ronseal, normally use satin finish. Not found much difference to be honest and no nonsense is much cheaper.

A slight aside, for woodturning I normally use cellulose sanding sealer but if I want acrylic because of what comes next, I simply use about 1/3 no nonsense varnish, 1/3 water and 1/3 meths or Isopropanol. Dries hard in about 10 mins, a coffee break.

Last edited:
I've probably used about 5 or 6 different makes for exactly what you are doing and have no preference. Just buy a satin finish and some 400 grit aluminium oxide abrasive for a de-nib between coats.
My top tip is do not wash the brush out. If you wrap it in a plastic bag and stick it in the fridge it will be fine for at least a week.

Colin

Latest posts

Back