Wet Saturday afternoon..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andrew you have scored, that I like. To me that is beautiful. Perhaps a voided bowl rather than than natural edge but what the heck, it looks good. My type of turning.

Peter

Thanks for the comments

CHJ":37st57ig said:
how did the sanding go 'other than very carefully'

Mainly by hand with the lathe stopped :D (not sticking my fingers in there when it's whizzing round :shock: )

Paul.J":37st57ig said:
How come the Burr Elm is so dark

The finishing oil darkened what was already a dark piece of timber (but wax isn't the right finish for something full of holes)

Bodrighy":37st57ig said:
Andrew you have scored, that I like. To me that is beautiful. Perhaps a voided bowl rather than than natural edge but what the heck, it looks good. My type of turning.

Thanks,Jedi master of natural timber :wink: It was interesting to do (started in the pub on Friday when someone gave me the burr and said "see if you can make anything out of that"),and the proportion of time spent finishing the piece,compared to turning it,goes up somewhat :lol:
I like the "organic" nature of it,and must have a go at some more rustic pieces (whoops - another slope...)

Andrew

Bodrighy":1odtaxoi said:

Thanks,Jedi master of natural timber :wink: It was interesting to do (started in the pub on Friday when someone gave me the burr and said "see if you can make anything out of that"),and the proportion of time spent finishing the piece,compared to turning it,goes up somewhat :lol:
I like the "organic" nature of it,and must have a go at some more rustic pieces (whoops - another slope...)

Andrew[/quote]

pipper off I ain't no master. Oops that may get struck off :oops: Seriously, working with 'unreal wood' is a challenge but a real cool feeling when it works and yours does. =D>

Remember that I have only been serously turning for 8 months so if you feel my opinon is worth anything I am incredibly flattered.

Pete

Bodrighy":2w1vxuze said:
if you feel my opinon is worth anything I am incredibly flattered.

Same as you said in your "winge" post,Pete - everybodys opinion is important.
There is quite a selection of turners on the forum,and some people's work is more biased towards a particular style than others;some I've tried,some I haven't - but I can honestly say I have learnt something from everyone on here (thanks,everyone :D ),be it tool control,finishing techniques,inspiration for shapes or whatever.

And long may it remain so.

Andrew

Had a go at a natural-edge bowl yesterday,out of some part-dried sweet chestnut;the outside went well,but when doing the inside,I managed to hollow too far through and ended up with a two-piece instead :oops:
Also discovered that the tannin in sweet chestnut discolours your lathe bed in a matter of minutes.. :(
But undeterred,I tried again this morning:-

Picture106Small.jpg

Picture109Small.jpg

Home-dried holly,90mm diameter,70mm high,finished in lemon oil.

Andrew

Well worked there Andrew, looks like you are diving off on a bit of a tangent with your turning stile.

Must admit I prefer natural edged bowls when used end grain on, but a good job anyway.

I dooo! like that that 'burr elm' bowl further up the post though. That is one nice piece of "tree wood". =P~ :mrgreen:

Thanks for the comments.

Another piece "between jobs" this afternoon :-

Picture111Small.jpg

Picture112Small-1.jpg

Spalted beech,245mm diameter,50mm high,friction polish.

Andrew

PowerTool":3sebpw06 said:
Had a go at a natural-edge bowl yesterday,out of some part-dried sweet chestnut;the outside went well,but when doing the inside,I managed to hollow too far through and ended up with a two-piece instead :oops:
Andrew

Now you really are beginning to sound like me :lol:

I like the holly bowl, looks like a fan in the first picture. I always think of holly as a white wood but this has quite a different colour scheme to it.

Pete

This afternoons piece :-

Picture114Small.jpg

Picture115Small.jpg

Picture116Small.jpg

Rippled sycamore,250mm diameter,50mm high,waxed.
Simple shape so as not to overpower the grain pattern.

Andrew

Another nice looking piece Andrew :D
Lovely looking wood,just a pity it's been flashed out to much and not showing it's real colour. :roll:
Paul.J.

Here's a picture taken in reasonable daylight this morning :-

Picture120Small.jpg

Now if anyone fancied doing a post on top tips for taking pictures...

Andrew (camera-challenged if it isn't "point and press" :lol: )

As a tester for Chas's "Workshop Quality Time" poll,nipped out and made this:-

Picture122Small.jpg

Picture123Small-1.jpg

Picture124Small.jpg

Bubinga,140mm diameter,45mm high,waxed.

Preparation time - nil
Making time - 1 hour
Tidying up afterwards - 15 minutes

Puts me in the "more than 10%,less than 50%" category (which is what I would have gone for anyway)

Andrew

Nice one Andrew, if only all projects were that good and days so productive.

(it depends on how you define productive of course when it comes to shop improvements etc. versus output out of the door :) )

This weeks "guest timber" :-

Picture127Small.jpg

Picture128Small.jpg

Picture131Small.jpg

Danto,found whilst wandering round John Boddys.
220mm diameter,45mm high,waxed.

First go at off-centre turning - blank was hot-melt glued to a scrap piece of timber,and attached to a faceplate ring.Turned the sides and top,put a couple of lines in the top,and sanded it all.
Undid all but one screw in the faceplate ring,swung it round a bit,then re-attached.Turned the centre,sanded,then waxed.
Removed faceplate ring,and warmed in the microwave to soften the glue and remove the scrap timber.
Base then sanded and finished by hand.

Andrew

Nicely done Andrew, take care if you come across the wood again I believe it is, if not a relative of Iroko, a wood with similar attributes, it certainly has similar physical characteristics.

Back