Wet Saturday afternoon..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a bit of variety yesterday,while my son spend the whole day watching "24" on Sky1 :-

Made a new lightpull for the bathroom,partly because I need lots more practice with the skew:-
Picture136Small.jpg

Then made a pear,because seeing as I commented on someone elses recently,thought it was time I had a go myself :-
Picture134Small.jpg

Picture135Small.jpg

Idigbo with oak stem,100mm high,60mm widest diameter,waxed.

Then made a small bowl:-
Picture146Small.jpg

Picture147Small.jpg

Picture148Small.jpg

Oak,170mm diameter,40mm high,waxed.

Andrew

Like the little rim detail on the Oak dish Andrew, obviously not a Rugby fan then. :lol:

Pears are always a source of consternation to me... the question is whether to go for the stylised perfect pear of reflect nature... 10 mins in the supermarket fondling the pears reveals no two the same :wink:

I luv small bowls/dishes ... as Chas says the small feature around the rim distinguishes it from 'just another bowl' ...luv Oak too, shame it's a little too reactive to metals, fruit etc.

The light pull looks a little 'squeezed' ...maybe if the beads were separated by small fillets...?

Hi Andrew,

Must confess I am not too keen on the multi beading look on turnings but nicely done .

I have had a go at fruit but so far everything I have produced looks like a candidate for the surrealist school of turning. Bwl I like. Like Graham I like smaller ones. (Maybe 'cos my lathe can't cope with big ones :cry: )

Nice looking piece of oak.

Pete

Thanks for the comments - yes,I can see what you mean about the lighpull;it was mainly for when my Dad comes round,as he has Parkinsons disease and has trouble gripping things - although it doesn't look quite right,it does fit very nicely in the hand (a case of ergonomics over aesthetics)
Still need a lot more practice at spindle work,particularly the skew - probably just as well,as I'm getting short of space for any more bowls... :whistle:

Andrew

Some nice work there Andrew :D
Love the Oak bowl,must sort some Oak out meself.
The Pear i also like as swmbo wants me to make a whole bowl full of fruit,so another one to get round to :roll:
Light pull wasn't sure about but can now see why you made it like that.Still all good practice :D
Paul.J.

Was asked to make a platter for a work colleague :-

Picture150Small.jpg

Picture153Small.jpg

Picture152Small.jpg

Spalted beech,295mm diameter,35mm high,finished with melamine aerosol.
Was planning on making an ogee profile,but when I started roughing it out,the grain pattern on the outside was too nice to turn it away - so it ended up like this instead.Small bead on the inside for a bit of decoration;chose melamine as I wanted something hardwearing (I know at some point,he will chuck his car keys in it.. :wink: )

Andrew

Lovely piece of wood and a lovely platter there Andres. Like the beading, it does set it off, your right. I never think to do that, maybe the next piece.

Pete

That is one nice platter Andrew, nice shape and detail, and some lovely figuring and colour. Not what you would normally expect from Beech.

As it seems to be a working piece melamine is a good choice of finish, and it will make it easy for the owner to wipe over with some wax at any time in the future.

All in all a nice piece of turning. =D>

Well crafted Andrew, the distinct figuring will ensure that it stays in a prominent position, far too good to hide.

The rim bead works well, I find that anything that can form enough of a lip to cast a slight shadow on the upper inside curve of a piece seems to enhance the the appearance of depth.

Thanks for the comments,everyone.I'm pleased with the way it turned out - almost a shame to have to hand it over to someone else tomorrow :wink:

Couple of hours in the workshop this afternoon - an apple,to go with last weeks pear :-
Picture156Small.jpg

Goncalo alves,65mm x 65mm,friction polish.

Then made this:-

Picture157Small.jpg

Picture158Small.jpg

Picture159Small.jpg

Home-dried holly,135mm at widest point,80mm at highest,finished in lemon oil.
There is a small piece of bark missing - this is where the bowl and my finger collided whilst sanding :shock: ; as I saw the gash in my finger end start oozing blood,my first thought was "Hope it doesn't stain,I'm already round to 240 grit.." :lol:

Andrew

PowerTool":3s5ik922 said:
Picture156Small.jpg

Goncalo alves,65mm x 65mm,friction polish.
This I am in awe of, I really cannot do fruit. That looks real enough to eat, in fact it looks like a russet. You'll have to experiment and see if you can come up with other varieties using different woods :lol:

The vase is gorgeous. I do like these shapes and styles. "My Type of vase" as Tam would say

PowerTool":3s5ik922 said:
There is a small piece of bark missing - this is where the bowl and my finger collided whilst sanding :shock: ; as I saw the gash in my finger end start oozing blood,my first thought was "Hope it doesn't stain,I'm already round to 240 grit.." :lol:
Pete
You need to be careful Andrew. Blood is a real pig to get out of the wood and on something as thin as that vase you may not be able to. :eek:
Andrew

Andrew, they are great, shame about the lost bark, still as long as you didn't stain the wood with blood no real harm done :)

love both them pieces!! I can't seem to get the hang of natural edge myself, I end up turning it into fancy fire wood :oops: which is a shame because I love the look of it. must have another go!

Another great couple of pieces Andrew :D
Love the natural edge piece.Never tried this yet,must get round to it :roll:
How are you holding your fruit pieces :?:
Paul.J.

Gaz_XB9R":1ftbcx7m said:
Andrew, what have you used for the apple stalk and how is it attached?

It's a clipping from my garden hedge,3mm hole drilled at a slight angle,and superglued in.

Paul - held between centres and a spigot put on one end to fit the chuck jaws.You can then turn everything except the bottom.Part off,and shape the waste left in the chuck to suit the top of the piece - put a piece of cloth or towel over this to avoid damaging the finish,and bring the tailstock up to the small tenon left over from parting off.Gentle pressure from the tailstock gives enough friction to drive the piece and finish the underneath,apart from a very small bit which gets carved off by hand.

Andrew

Paul, another option would be to turn it all in one go...if you have enough between the base of the apple and the chuck (s'pose it depends on how 'careful' [tight!] you are with wood :lol:

When you get to the bottom, bring up the tailstock as an extra safeguard (some woods have little or no twisting strength) and then pare away the wood at the chuck to leave a 1/4(6mm) 3/8(9mm) spigot which should allow you to finish off the bottom whether it be flat or incurved. Part off carefully and remove any stub on the apple by hand... top tip: stick on a small head of wild poppy seed... looks very like the natural apple calyx :wink:

Back