Wet grinder rollers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weekend_woodworker

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a wet grinder like this:
FB9DE6C7-46FF-45DD-BDE1-2AB0F0DD4308.jpeg

It takes up quite a lot of space on my workbench, so I would like to be able to tuck it away in a corner when not in use. In fact I am thinking about making a small cupboard to put it in. However it is quite an awkward lift for this lump from the corner of the bench. Therefore I was thinking about a wheeled base for it. Clearly it would need to be lockable when in use. I would also like it to add as little as possible to the height and footprint of the grinder. Knowing that members of the forum have far more experience than me, has anyone seen anything like this or made anything similar as I am open to ideas and suggestions?
I ought to add that I was not aiming to start a debate about whether this is a good way of sharpening or not, so was not looking for suggestions of replacing it with something completely different ;).
Thanks,
Mark

How about a gas lift from a sewing machine cabinet? If it will take the load the grinder could drop away into your work surface when not in use.

Or into a purpose built cabinet that will extend your workbench

The Tormek ones are identical and they are very popular and in use in workshops and colleges across the world.

I see axminster do a flat wheel grinding/whetstone,(Axminster Craft AC125WDG 125/200 Wet & Dry Grinder) and while ive not use one of those specifically, I do use something similar and find its very good.
Other than the fact it sprays water everywhere :LOL: The ax one has higher sides, mine doesnt. But it does big long planer blades so im reluctant to get rid of it.

If you're thinking about the 'Ultimate edge' affair, I'd be interested to hear any info about that.

Theres a link to a sealey thats identical to the axminster one if you want to have a look see.

How about a gas lift from a sewing machine cabinet? If it will take the load the grinder could drop away into your work surface when not in use.

Or into a purpose built cabinet that will extend your workbench
Hi Tris,
That is an interesting idea, unfortunately the space under the workbench is full already. It was because of that I was thinking about how I could move it along the workbench without pulling my back with an awkward lift in the process.
Thanks
Mark

The Tormek ones are identical and they are very popular and in use in workshops and colleges across the world.

I see axminster do a flat wheel grinding/whetstone,(Axminster Craft AC125WDG 125/200 Wet & Dry Grinder) and while ive not use one of those specifically, I do use something similar and find its very good.
Other than the fact it sprays water everywhere :LOL: The ax one has higher sides, mine doesnt. But it does big long planer blades so im reluctant to get rid of it.

If you're thinking about the 'Ultimate edge' affair, I'd be interested to hear any info about that.

Theres a link to a sealey thats identical to the axminster one if you want to have a look see.

Hi Triton,

Thanks for sharing. I have the grinder already. I am looking for a way of putting rollers on it so I can move it easily along my workbench when needed.
Thanks
Mark

so was not looking for suggestions of replacing it with something completely different
Sorry misread that as you were looking for something to replace it with. Sorry :oops:

Stick 4 castors on a piece of plywood, place sharpener on top and bobs yer uncle 😉

I'd seen the comment about a cupboard for it and thought of a freestanding dedicated unit just for the grinder, hence the idea of the gas lift.
Could you use drawer runners to ease pulling it across the bench if it can stay at the back of the bench?

What about one of those folding arm things they mound flat screen TV's on. You could have it folded in against the wall, then swing it out for us. That said it would need to be able to be locked in place or it would become a pain in the proverbial moving about in use.

I'd seen the comment about a cupboard for it and thought of a freestanding dedicated unit just for the grinder, hence the idea of the gas lift.
Could you use drawer runners to ease pulling it across the bench if it can stay at the back of the bench?
Hi Tris,
Sorry I didn’t explain myself well. I seem to have filled up most of the space in the garage! The reason for the cupboard is as really so I could store more things above the grinder and keep grot off it when not in use.
I had thought about drawer runners, but I would need them to be quit long and then be able to rotate the grinder as well.
Thanks

What about one of those folding arm things they mound flat screen TV's on. You could have it folded in against the wall, then swing it out for us. That said it would need to be able to be locked in place or it would become a pain in the proverbial moving about in use.
Hi Triton,

The idea of wheels on a board underneath was along the lines I was thinking, but I wasn’t sure how I would stop it moving when using it. The normal locking castors I have come across are quite large in proportion to the machine.

The idea of a TV arm is not one I had thought of. It could work but a bit like the wheels the challenge is to stop it moving when in use.

Thanks,
Mark

This retractable mechanism with wheels is sized for a workbench but a small version could work for the grinder:

Last edited:
This retractable mechanism with wheels is sized for a workbench but a small version could work for the grinder:

Thanks John,
That looks like the sort of thing I could make. The bit it does not really highlight is the need for the castor plate to hinge from horizontal to an angle above that. I will need to work out how to go from the horizontal metal plate to a vertical lever without fowling the operation of the machine, particularly on the end with the water bath.

Good food for thought.
Thanks
Mark

I have a two level layout for some of my tools. Some tools that need room above them are on the workbench top surface and tools that don't need that headroom are on a shelf underneath the worktop. I use the top tools stood up and I have a short stool I sit on so I can use the tools on the lower shelf sitting down.

2021-01-13 18.10.40.jpg

2021-01-13 18.11.59.jpg

2021-01-13 18.13.24.jpg

I know the OP does not have space in the cupboard below, but I thought others might be interested in the kitchen food mixer cantilever device that I use to store my Tormek. It has a positive lock in the open position and is spring counterbalanced. I made a simple zinc tray to contain any water spillage. The drawer above has my sharpening stones on a non-slip rubber mat. Close the cupboard door and everything is out of the way. Forgive the mess - things are usually much tidier!
Tony

Thanks John,
That looks like the sort of thing I could make. The bit it does not really highlight is the need for the castor plate to hinge from horizontal to an angle above that. I will need to work out how to go from the horizontal metal plate to a vertical lever without fowling the operation of the machine, particularly on the end with the water bath.

Good food for thought.
Thanks
Mark

There are versions where the two sets of wheels are linked so it operates with only one handle or foot plate (for benches). Youtube has videos of various setups.

View attachment 105585
View attachment 105586
View attachment 105587

I know the OP does not have space in the cupboard below, but I thought others might be interested in the kitchen food mixer cantilever device that I use to store my Tormek. It has a positive lock in the open position and is spring counterbalanced. I made a simple zinc tray to contain any water spillage. The drawer above has my sharpening stones on a non-slip rubber mat. Close the cupboard door and everything is out of the way. Forgive the mess - things are usually much tidier!
Tony
Very neat Tony, I like that. As you recognised I don’t have space to do that, but thanks for sharing.
Mark

There are versions where the two sets of wheels are linked so it operates with only one handle or foot plate (for benches). Youtube has videos of various setups.
I think I need to sit down with a pencil and paper and see if I can sketch out something that might work along those lines. I had been wondering if I could attach the wheels on hinges on the side like the YouTube clip, but then have a bar across the front with a couple of cams on it to force the wheels down.

Back