Wet & Dry Sandpaper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to buy quality wet & dry sandpaper. 3M vs Mirka wet & dry? Which do you use? Other?

Where to buy for best price? UK

Many thanks.

Go to a local steel merchant's, they don't tend to sell rubbish. Be prepared to build up a stock of packs of 50 (or whatever), you'll pay an arm and a leg for single sheets. You can sometimes find mixed or smaller packs of finer grades on evilbay if you need really fine stuff.

Indasa Rhynowet is good stuff, otherwise 3m
Have used Mirka for other stuff but not specifically wet and dry

Worth looking at if you want Silicon Carbide or Aluminium Oxide based on your planned usage

I always buy 3M w&d, but no idea where to buy it in UK. Never tried Mirka for w&d, but find it excellent for dry use.

After a lot of trial and error I've completely given up with all cheapo abrasives, most especially those form Lidl & Aldi (the backing "paper" always gives up before the abrasive is worn out - complete waste of money IME).

I have had good results with 3M,Mirka and Rhyno.Its the unbranded stuff that has been poor quality and which has tended to shed grit rapidly.As has been said,buying a pack is much more economical over time than single sheets.

didn't know u could get w/d on a roll....always bought packs of 50.....usually 3m's.....
bought a job lot of Mirka dry paper rolls before moving here.....
now found a local factory, Athens, producing paper so will try them next....always happy to support local trades.....

Haven’t had SiC in a roll but have had alox
For use with steel alox generally better, for softer stuff SiC better as the grains are sharper (but more friable so wear v quickly if used on harder substrates)

Car paint warehouse or similar.
Halfords sell it in small packs, bit expensive but easy to find.

Starcke Matador Wasserfestes Schleifpapier​

If you can get it in the UK. It's the best i've used over 50 years and it goes up to 7000 grit
Cheers
Andrew

I've used eBay for rolls of Mirka - can be gotten quite cheaply and seems to last for ever in comparison to the cheaper stuff.
The only time I use wet and dry is when paint finishing, and then one has to be careful how thin you go in case the wood starts to swell.
As others have suggested car body re-finishers are probably your best source for that.

I always buy 3M w&d, but no idea where to buy it in UK. Never tried Mirka for w&d, but find it excellent for dry use.

After a lot of trial and error I've completely given up with all cheapo abrasives, most especially those form Lidl & Aldi (the backing "paper" always gives up before the abrasive is worn out - complete waste of money IME).
Renovate sell it, IIRC.

I'm not sure how they compare to pack costs, but when I recently wanted 1 sheet in a variety of sizes I was pleasantly surprised by the price of Starcke Matador from MJ Sealants

Klingspor, because I like the name.
They are all much the same as far as I know.
N.B. paper-backed used wet (with white spirit etc) is brilliant for plane soles and similar. Splash it on your flat surface and the paper sticks tight (enough) and dead flat, once the paper is soaked through. Keep it wet while you flatten your sole. 80 grit will do it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back