Westonbirt - Who's Going And When?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davegw":2fls6spg said:
frugal":2fls6spg said:
Alas, we have a reenactment event in South Wales all weekend. So I am going to be 60 miles away rather than 5 miles down the road ;(

What are you reenacting frugal?

This one is just a general 14th/15th Century fair at a rebuilt medieval village in Cosmeston just outside Cardiff.

I was planning on going to go to Westonbirt on Friday and then onto the event on Saturday, but one of our group has a 30th birthday on the Friday so we are going a day early and having a party in the tithe barn ;)

I'll be there Friday and Saturday, last year I went for three days, but having seen Mr Cosman's demonstrations a couple of times, I think I'll give them a miss this year.

It's a shame they don't do multi day tickets. I can't see me paying £36 in total for entry (me and missus 2 days). We'll see how the first day goes.

Hi hoping to go saturday with the wife and kids ,last year was good, looking forward to both Mr C`s masterclasses :D
see you all there

regards Chris

His Lordship has just been given his rota for the forthcoming week; as the most junior member of staff, he gets the honour of covering the Bank Holiday and will need our car to travel to work.

Oh well :( . Have fun, guys.

Gill

What dates is the show on for because i have been planning to go but i have 2 different dates. On the leaflet i have it says that the woodcraft exhibition is on from the 22-25 august but on the website it says 24-27?

Thanks

Woody.

newt":u4rwqxcb said:
Looks as though it might be dry for Saturday
Pete - I keep on checking the weather on the BBC and it seems to be good 8-[ for Saturday, which will please SWIMBO - Rob

Just got back a little while ago. An excellent day out :)

Didn't get to meet many forumites, but did visit the Philly Planes emporium and can report that Mr Edwards's creations are even better 'in the flesh' than the best photography can convey.

With LOML and LOML Jr acting as a restraining influence I didn't indulge totally, but did leave with a lighter wallet after investing in a Chris Schwarz DVD, carver's mallet and a couple of slabs of wood.

Struck lucky with the weather, which was largely sunny for the duration of the visit.

I can report that there are some bargain bits of timber around; there's one old tools vendor with lots of planes and chisels, and a few other bits and pieces; lots to see by way of woodturning, woodcarving and traditional woodcrafts - a little less in the way of modern furniture and cabinetmaking (although what's there is of high quality); and, of course, the Classic Handtools marquee, which is an Aladdin's cave of treasures.

Tip to the first-time visitor - take plenty of cash. Classic Handtools and a few other exhibitors have facilities for plastic payment, but most don't.

I spent a really good afternoon at Westonbirt today, meeting a few recognisable faces along the way (Nick Gibbs, Andy King, Phil Davy). Weather was better than expected and the chainsaw carving really has to be seen! :shock: Felt like a bit of a plank as I was one of the only people carrying round an umbrella, just in case... :oops:

I was put off from buying any timber when I realised none of it is seasoned. If I had somewhere to store it, then I'd be telling you a different story! :wink: Would be good for turners and carvers though, lots of 'interesting' pieces on sale. :)

I'm sorry I didn't look at Philly's planes (again!) - but I did notice Mike Riley and yourself sneaking off somewhere, late afternoon... (fag break?) :shock: :oops: :? :wink:

Definitely worth a day out for anyone who's still undecided. Didn't get a chance to explore the surrounding woodlands but you could easily "lose" your kids for a few hours! :D Actually, there were some youngsters doing a bit of carving, which was good to see. And the guy resawing that great lump of tree, great stuff, though the saw clearly lacks any kind of 'riving knife' to prevent the timber binding on the 2" blade.

I'm definitely going again next year and I'm told they also sell off (green) timber several times throughout the year, so I may be returning sooner. :wink:

Back