Western Union - sending musical instrument.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
I sell loads on ebay over the last 10 years, but right now I'm selling a highly unusual musical instrument on Facebook for over 1k and its collection only as I can't risk it being damaged in transit.

Someone is desperate for it but so far I'm refusing to send and they're at the other end of the UK so collecting is difficult.

They suggested bank transfer and willing to accept liability if I send it, but that would still leave me vulnerable to bank reversal, so I'm saying no.

However, it's got to the point where they're now willing to pay Western Union and accept all liability for damage or loss.

I'm wary.

Any ideas please?

I'd pack it really well, if necessary make a packing case, Then send it by one of the bigger carriers / parcel service but with full insurance, all to be paid by the buyer in advance.
Or to tell them to arrange pick-up themselves.

Hmmm. Tricky one. Daughter took her cello back to US after they flew over a couple of weeks ago. It had to be sent by "special stream", not with their hold luggage. Finally arrived three days late, with the outside of the case badly damaged and serious damage to the instrument itself. So be VERY careful. Seemed like total incompetence to me.
When the other daughter wanted her double bass taken from Milton Keynes up to Scotland, we had colleagues who drove down and back from Edinburgh on a regular basis and were happy to take it that far. That only left a 120 mile drive down for her.

I'd make them collect it, I wouldn't trust any delivery company, unless you have it in a custom made box, I'd never send a valuable instrument, even then it's still a risk, they'll likely throw it around and treat it like dirt, I had an acoustic diffuser destroyed by DPD and it was extremely well packed and I was astounded they managed to smash it up but they did... this is likely to not end well unless they collect in person.

Collection may not be possible for them depending on where you both live,get it in writing that they are willing to accept any and all risks including damage or loss and send it fully insured at their expense. Would be a shame to loose the sale.

I sell loads on ebay over the last 10 years, but right now I'm selling a highly unusual musical instrument on Facebook for over 1k and its collection only as I can't risk it being damaged in transit.

Someone is desperate for it but so far I'm refusing to send and they're at the other end of the UK so collecting is difficult.

They suggested bank transfer and willing to accept liability if I send it, but that would still leave me vulnerable to bank reversal, so I'm saying no.

However, it's got to the point where they're now willing to pay Western Union and accept all liability for damage or loss.

I'm wary.

Any ideas please?

no sale unless the terms meet the needs of both the seller and the buyer.

If there's trouble, you're covered.

No matter how much you want to please someone who "really really wants it", you'll eventually sell it to someone who will get it from you or they will have someone get it from you, pay you on your terms, and then take it back to the buyer.

There's too many things you have to learn or guess at if someone is going to try to screw you from a distance. The terms of the payment systems, etc - it's not worth it.

Weston Union gets a bad rap because a lot of fraudsters use it. The son of the family I work for got turned over by buying a computer off the internet, they wanted the money sent by Western Union.

After we realised what had happened their accounted looked at W/U and found they are a reputable company and that once the money has been deposited and sent, it is as good as in the recipients pocket, as it were. That is why the fraudsters use it, as there is no way to stop it once it's sent.

So I would say to the OP that Western Union is trustworthy, though I would want to receive payment before I posted the goods.

Ive sent a fair few guitars.... i detuned them to make the strings slack, packed them well in a good guitar hardcase with a return label inside. Once recieved, they took the case to post office and sent it back. That case must have done maybe 10 to 12 trips around the u.k 😆

If its expensive, I'd get them to buy a very good case and send it in a case within a box, recorded delivery with insurance for the full value

Oh yep, and take photos of it being packaged to prove it was in good shape when sent

What is it?
7250B6D9-4139-4DE0-9ABD-1CD5519E530E.jpeg

This smells of a common scam in the last couple of years. The rat I smell is the fact that the "buyer" seems to desparately want your item etc. I was nearlly scammed like this selling my old Riley car last year. It was too good to be true - they would send me a cheque to cover the cost of the item plus shipping. The cheque would clear,they would send someone to pick up the car but somehow they would cancel the transaction four weeks later they liked my car so much they would pay me more than I was asking. Two people locallly got scammed this way. If they really want your item they could send a courier and do a BACS etc

Ive sent a fair few guitars.... i detuned them to make the strings slack, packed them well in a good guitar hardcase with a return label inside. Once recieved, they took the case to post office and sent it back. That case must have done maybe 10 to 12 trips around the u.k 😆

If its expensive, I'd get them to buy a very good case and send it in a case within a box, recorded delivery with insurance for the full value
Good idea. Has to be an expensive "flight case" quality. I've been caught out sending a banjo in a less than ideal case which got broken even though heavily bubble wrapped plus heavy polythene.
You have to imagine it dropping off the back of a fast moving trailer and ask yourself if it would survive.

I'm wary.

Any ideas please?
Get them to arrange the courier company. Pick up cash at western union. Easy. You just pack and hand to courier company at your front door taking pictures before and after you pack it. Sounds like they really want it and all good!

This smells of a common scam in the last couple of years. The rat I smell is the fact that the "buyer" seems to desparately want your item etc. I was nearlly scammed like this selling my old Riley car last year. It was too good to be true - they would send me a cheque to cover the cost of the item plus shipping. The cheque would clear,they would send someone to pick up the car but somehow they would cancel the transaction four weeks later they liked my car so much they would pay me more than I was asking. Two people locallly got scammed this way. If they really want your item they could send a courier and do a BACS etc
What , do a bac? In Canada that's a blood alcohol content test!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back