well spalted birch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry, don't come on much, computer is slow as an asthmatic slug again! :x
Still not done owt for comp. will ge into gear next week!

This is from a find old sliver made in a cemetery he was helping clear,
I don't know how long it had all been left there in the grass but I did this trial piece and it is well spalted!

DSCF3587.jpg

Great find and also a great piece of turning. The spaltering enhances the appearance of the piece and shows the skill of the turner

If it was not for the little chunky base Mrs.S. I would not have placed that one on your shelf. Serious incursion into the world of us 'norms'.

Whether by accident or design, the height to diameter proportions match the spalting ratio to good effect.

The piece certainly makes the most of the find.

That's beautiful, the shape really complements the wood.

I like the foot on it too, although maybe would have gone for less crisp, more flowing line on the top?

Cracking bit of work at any rate!

Oh Mrs S !

Thats some great spalting there. I have a few silver birch logs in the compost area at the moment, only been there a few weeks. I certainly hope they come close to that well patterned !

Loz

Thanks for the comments. I have about another 12 pieces to go at, maybe we will go TIDY some more of the graveyard up when it has
gone 8)

This is the only piece I have done in about 2 months!! But have time off around the corner so I should be able to get something achived, However the segmenting is pulling me in and I have coughed up for a DVD set so I can learn to do it properly, so that will be a very steep learning curve for me, but I shall persivere.

Mrs S you are worse than me for jumping from one thng to another./ Definitely different to the other things we have seen from you. Really nice looking piece with the spalting and the shape. Don't be such a stranger. Fun si much more important than work you know :lol:

Pete

mrs. sliver":1s70vynu said:
Still not done owt for comp. will ge into gear next week!

you can enter something you've already made if you want - it doesn't have to be specially produced.

Back