Well, Ebay has stolen a Norris 2 from me

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please don't waste our valuable UK police time on this !!!
No one is out of pocket , annoying yes just put it down as lesson learnt .

This isn't a "lesson learnt", that saying is for things like sticking your finger through a chain link fence and teasing a dog.

lurcher":20i7821u said:
i want to no what happens to the planes and other items someone is getting some food items

In terms of the food items (liquor comes to mind, or really anything that they get), it's pitney bowes, a giant company of low-level rank and file employees. While I'm sure something gets lifted from time to time (we're all human), I'll bet they are just as bad to their employees as they are to their customers, and a 20-year employee who takes a little hooch is probably sent packing with little regard for any humanity.

Not because the company is a keeper of principles, but because they view people as little revenue units, and one who takes something is a revenue unit who might subject them to lawsuit.

D_W":1iltt1v2 said:
Eric The Viking":1iltt1v2 said:
I don't remember when paypal came along or how I paid for the first order - must've been credit card.

Cheque payments were used on eBay back then.
Item was posted aftr the cheque had been banked & cleared.

They were the days :) :)

I'd like to have the details of that first transaction. When it first started, there weren't many items on it, most were cheap and there was no "buy it now". Auctions with reserves was it (or no reserves). Pretty sure that what I got was a microphone for $1, though, and i expected it would never show up. but, it did, and it even worked when I got it.

iNewbie":2t682yeu said:
You're probably too young to remember when it was Postal Orders on there, too. lol

No I remember postal orders. I joined when it first launched in the UK in 1999. First thing I bought was an A4 scanner

Can you still buy postal orders?

You can do postal money orders in the states - they are probably the best way to pay and get paid (most secure, and cheap. About a dollar for up to $1000 of value - maybe 2 dollars). All of that stuff went away for small transactions on ebay (unless you went out of your way to do it) when they installed paypal as a means to collect additional revenue and have a digital paper trail of transactions to resolve disputes.

Aside from market share (which means traffic), at this point, I can't really see what else makes ebay any good any longer.

I sold three items in the last two weeks. First was a guitar pickguard. No big deal - $8. Some guy from china asked for a lower deal, I gave him his offer. He emailed me a dozen times after the auction asking questions, told me he thought the pickguard wasn't authentic (of course, it was, it was off of an american standard fender telecaster that I had and put a custom pickguard on, but I no longer have the guitar, and even if I did, it wouldn't be "proof"), and he said he changed his mind then after he bought it. I filed a non-paying bidder claim just so that I can relist it, and he hasn't responded. For a couple of weeks now, I'm waiting for them just to give me a credit and let me relist it.

Second was a watch - that sold, no issues.

Third was another watch - some guy got the winning bid, and a full day later informed me that he'd made a "mistake" bidding and wanted to cancel the transaction. I see now that ebay has a "cancel transaction" option whereas they used to only allow the buyer to be declared a non-paying bidder. I get to relist the item now.

So in the last week, I've had two non-paying bidders, and a plane seized that never should've been subjected to any judgement in regard to CITES in the first place, because it's given an exemption from any requirements (and every other shipper sees it that way).

I've contacted US customs (don't know if I said that already) to find out what their opinion is on these tools so that I can send it back to the people at Pitney Bowes.

I think your post office needs to talk to our post office here.

Terms and conditions for the seller:
https://pages.ebay.co.uk/shipping/globa ... ml#newUser

Undeliverable Items.

eBay and Pitney Bowes shall have no liability and shall have, in their discretion and in any manner that they prefer, the right to dispose of or liquidate GSP (Global Shippng Programme) Items that eBay or Pitney Bowes conclude are undeliverable, for whatever reason.
If eBay or Pitney Bowes concludes that a GSP Item is undeliverable and elects to dispose of it or sell it, title to the GSP Item shall transfer automatically from you (the seller) to a third party that eBay and Pitney Bowes may designate and you will keep your Buyer’s payment.
Alternatively, eBay or Pitney Bowes may elect to return to you at any U.K. address that you have on file with eBay any GSP Item that eBay or Pitney Bowes concludes is undeliverable and require reversal of the PayPal payment that your Buyer made to you. If an item is returned to you, you may be responsible for a return postage fee.

You acknowledge that eBay’s or Pitney Bowes’ election to dispose of or sell the GSP Item and to allow you to retain your Buyer’s payment for the GSP Item is sufficient consideration for the transfer of title to any third party that eBay and Pitney Bowes may designate.

It seems at least the seller does not lose their money. And if the buyer gets their money back, then this situation is a bit unusual because if a seller sends something using Royal Mail or a courier, and Royal Mail or a courier decides the item is prohibited, they will surely just confiscate it without any compensation to the sender. The same must go for UK customs.

Recently I bought 4 18650 li-ion batteries from a Ebay seller in China, it never arrived. I got my money back, the seller refunded me, and lost out. I think Royal Mail seized the batteries, as I found out apparently they won't deliver 4 loose li-ion batteries. But one single 18650 li-ion battery is OK, which I have bought and did receive previously.

Yeah, this case is one where they compensate everyone so that they can make a "customs" decision without being a customs official.

I'm pretty sure they won't tell me where the liquidated items are sold because if this thing goes up for a straight auction somewhere, it could bring more than the remuneration, and then there is a potential for accusation of gain.

The whole situation is really idiotic, especially since it's a private company who is making this arbitrary decision, as they say, "to make sure they don't incur fines".

Of course, as I am requesting information from them (which now Pitney Bowes seems to have stopped responding), I got a brazilian rosewood infilled plane from the UK yesterday. It was repacked after customs in Jamaica NY before it came to me. and *of course* they had no problem with a very old plane that has brazilian rosewood infills. I bought it through ebay, but the seller used a different combo shipper and not the GSP. I was a bit surprised to see that it was repacked in New York, but I don't know that I've ever paid attention before.

I sell the odd bit on ebay and inrecently had a beech handled no4 plane confiscated on the wsy to finland of all places. How can that make sense, the last three planes i shifted with rosewood handles sll disspeared when they went to the USA. I think its going to be good news for the dealers. I listed the plane as pre the cites cut off etc but to no avail
I suppose the only way around it is get the paperwork done.
Owen

With anything I think may be a problem I just sell within UK only. I've had a couple of enquirers from USA ask if I could send to them but explained the possible pitfalls and heard no more.

RogerP":1zwl3736 said:
With anything I think may be a problem I just sell within UK only. I've had a couple of enquirers from USA ask if I could send to them but explained the possible pitfalls and heard no more.

I got a rosewood infill yesterday. Just not with global shipping.

I'm not sure what the seller used in terms of services, but it wasn't GS. The reason I say i'm not sure is that it was repacked here in customs, but maybe that happens no matter what.

Of course, customs didn't care about it - they let another one of mine through a couple of weeks ago (a slater with a rosewood infill).

It's a moron at Pitney Bowes who issued a "legal opinion" that all planes with rosewood should be confiscated. They follow it internally. Maybe ebay doesn't like it, I don't know, since they told me not to use GS going forward to avoid the problem. They didn't say not to ship internationally, just not to use GS.

In their correspondence, they also said that if an item is questionable (so any dark wood or stained beech might be stopped), they will confiscate and there is no review. It's time for ebay to use someone else.

Of the three planes I've gotten in the last month, only the norris 2 was stopped (the others didn't go through GS). Of the three that I got, the norris 2 is the one that I really wanted and really got an excellent deal on price-wise. Pitney Bowes still hasn't responded to my follow-up question, but I'm going to keep emailing them until they block my email, and then I'm going to post a youtube video to cost them business.

Eric The Viking":cy7as9db said:
I've researched eBay's global shipping program (from the USA) recently. [snip] Here's why I know this: I recently received a video camera originally sent from Vancouver, Canada, via there [snip] The camera had the shoes' shipping #. There was precious little to go on, but by pretending to be part of NCIS, I tracked down the original shipper by a fragment of documentation and part of a sticky label left with the packaging.

Good social engineering Eric especially as NCIS ceased to exist a decade ago or more. What were they thinking! Just as well though as pretending to be part of SOCA is probably criminal (probably because cba to check if it falls within the impersonation offence but would be surprising if it didn't). Impersonating a long dead policing force is a cunning stunt indeed!

A question I have to ask, when you guys are shipping things, are you truthful on the customs form?

Rorschach":2godd782 said:
A question I have to ask, when you guys are shipping things, are you truthful on the customs form?
Yes, many times I've been asked to show the value as lower but always refuse as it would invalidate the insurance.

Latest posts

Back