Website advice (tooltique)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bm101":2obeywgf said:
'Why do you not think I should buy that plane? Because I will be honest with you, After reading all the wonderful information provided here and then seeing that link I ended up getting two planes. I picked up that Stanley 4 1/2 you linked and a Record 5 1/2. '
Because I would have just bought the 5 1/2. Two birds , one stone. You haven't lost out financially or made a bad decision. It's a good call overall. You can always resell if needed after all! For smaller stock I'd say you might get more control from a 4 rather than a 4 1/2 but I'm not giving out advice here mate. I'm a two bob beginner! I'm dangerous! 8) My next port of call would be ITS and ultex diamond stones in a sale.
Welcome to the world of sharpening.
https://www.its.co.uk/Misc/Ultex-Diamon ... 2147483647
The 5 1/2 was the clear winner in recommendations. The 4 did come up though and like you said I can resell it if it turns out I'm not in love with hand planing material. The more I have to work with digital hardware professionally though the more I seem to enjoy just taking my time on my projects at home. Hopefully it becomes a tool that I do use regularly and I like the idea of being able to compare them. Feel the differences y'all are talking about.

Thank you for the link for the future sharpening demand. Is there a forum on here that you know of that people have asked about plane blade sharpening how-tos?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Sharpening? It hardly ever gets mentioned. :wink:
As a beginner the biggest fallacy is that you won't need to sharpen. You have no idea so you think you can buy a way out of it. You invest in it because it seems easier than learning. Jig or not. Waterstones or not. What grade of scarysharp or wet n dry do we go for?
Get some ultex diamond stones on sale. Job done. Sharpen your tools fairly cheaply. Avoid a whole car crash of mixed media experiences you're better off not knowing how many ways its possible to f*ck up a simple task. Keep things simple. Once sorted you can make choices later.

RGZoro":xveykio4 said:
My wife has agreed for me to have carter blanche on getting my first hand plane.

Presumably, 'Carter Blanche' is a hooker.

Your wife must have very high hopes for your planing endeavors (hammer) :ho2

Wait till I show my missus this thread... I have loads of planes and I never ever... not even my first...

How'd yer work that one =D>

screwpainting":52r7ygwq said:
RGZoro":52r7ygwq said:
My wife has agreed for me to have carter blanche on getting my first hand plane.

Presumably, 'Carter Blanche' is a hooker.

Your wife must have very high hopes for your planing endeavors (hammer) :ho2

Wait till I show my missus this thread... I have loads of planes and I never ever... not even my first...

How'd yer work that one =D>
Ha! Good catch! I corrected it now. That will teach me to post from my phone without proofreading first.

Having used both a 4 and a 4½, as well as a 5, I would definitely suggest keeping some pennies saved up in case a nice No 4 comes up - There are times when a hoofing great big long plane really works for a job... but there are also times when a small, lightweight plane makes life far less exhausting - I've already learned the hard way on that!

Hello! I've been on these forums for some months now trying to get acquainted with UK brands and build my tools back up.
My wife has agreed for me to have carte blanche on getting my first hand plane. I still want to be responsible with my spending though. This sight seems to have a variety of resorted vintage planes for good prices. Can anyone here vouch for this site? https://www.tooltique.co.uk/antique-too ... er/product
If not can anyone point me in a good direction? I'd really appreciate it. I have looked on here for "first hand plane" recommendations and there seems to be a lot of opinions. Timber is so expensive on this side of the ocean I've monstly been using repurposed materials. If anyone thinks a block plane isn't the best to start with I'd love to hear about it. Thank you for your time and assistance.

Yes I can vouch for Steve his planes are restored to the highest quality and ready to go to work, all you have to do is sharpen the iron to how you prefer, each of us have our favourite way of sharpening.
I have bought many planes in the past from this company and (hand on heart ) I have never had a poor quality plane Steve’s experience in plane restoration is superb I’m a professional carpenter and I know quality when I pick up a plane.

You won’t go wrong with one of Steve’s planes
Regards and good luck.
Chris Perkins in Devon.

As a person that went through more or less the same predicament just a couple of weeks ago, and indeed posted and got amazing help from everyone here, my first hand plane ended up being a low angle LN no 5 with an extra toothed blade. If you look at one of my threads re travelling to the USA, you can read about all the reasons I went for that one. Bottom line, and in my view essentially, if it doesn’t feel right, for me, I won’t use it. Yes you can go for a number 4.5 or 5, but if it’s a pain to use, for me at least, I’ll just put it aside. One other thing I decided on, invest in premium I.e LN, veritas and the like as you don’t want to spent your first hours truing up the sole especially when like me your still learning. Plenty of vids on your tube about first hand plane. Good luck

Seems this thread has been resurrected.

I too have had a positive experience shopping at tooltique.

I think it's a little pricey for used tools, but they are all restored to working condition, so no risk of getting a dud unlike eBay. You know the tool is going to be ready to use and in great condition for a used tool. I do recommend.

Back