Ways to cut beyond table saw capacity?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azk404

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

My table saw rip capacity is about 630 but I have a few pieces that I wouldn’t mind trimming beyond that capacity.

I can pull the fence close to the blade and have the waste side between the blade and fence and go off a pencil mark but is there a smarter way of doing this as well as getting repeat cuts with slightly different sized boards?

… other than using a track saw.

Extra large sled?

A

Last edited:
Hello

My table saw rip capacity is about 630 but I have a few pieces that I wouldn’t mind trimming beyond that capacity.

I can pull the fence close to the blade and have the waste side between the blade and fence and go off a pencil mark but is there a smarter way of doing this as well as getting repeat cuts with slightly different sized boards?

… other than using a track saw.

A
Make a fence adaptation. Easiest is to drop on and fix a piece of MDF or similar to make a wider top covering the existing, then screw or clamp on a batten for a fence.
If you fix it first you should be able to raise the blade to cut a slot through it.

Could you possibly mount the fence rail(s) further to the right, or swap out the rail(s)?
Hard to advise without knowing the machine.
On my old Startrite the rails are solid and tapped for extensions.

Thanks Jacob, that sounds like an idea to keep note of but I would need to drag my TS (iTech 01332) to the left as its against the wall at the moment. I did manage to shift the rails to the left enough to accommodate the needed width but didn't make the cut so il test it out tomorrow, good shout on that thanks.

As long as the waste edge is parallel to the edge you want to cut run it against the fence. If the edge isn't parallel and there is room on the waste side, tack a straight piece to it and run it against the fence. If there isn't much room along the waste to safely use nails/screws to attach a strip to, then tack a wider piece to the good side and cut the waste and the straight piece off together. Make sense? If you have lots to do go with your own suggestion of a large sled.

Pete

Make a fence adaptation. Easiest is to drop on and fix a piece of MDF or similar to make a wider top covering the existing, then screw or clamp on a batten for a fence.
If you fix it first you should be able to raise the blade to cut a slot through it.
I have done exactly as Jacob describes with a sheet of 18mm ply. I also routed recesses so I could fix a metre long rule on each side so as to be able to fasten down a batten accurately. I just support the overhanging ends on stands, the sheet itself is bolted to the top of the table extension wings. Makes cutting large pieces much easier. Only downside is when you are not using it you need to store it in such a way that it won't wrap DAHIKT :)

Damn, looks like an idea buy my rails extend past the end of the table on the left, but maybe I can modify them 🤔 Cheers for that @MichaelChou.

I just use a 14" x 8' wide off cut from a 19mm plywood sheet as my straight edge cutting guide....
I have a dedicated small Hitachi circ saw just for that job.....
never need anything else....
a quick clean up with a plane for the longer stuff is all u need, same as a table saw finish.....
things can and do go wrong oversizing table saw's....ask me how I know.....!!!!!!!

Back