Wax Polish on Pine (and hello from a new fella)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

Hello, what a great site, how happy I am that I found it. Glad to be here and lovely to meet you all. :)

Just a quick one really, I'm gently breaking into wood working,which is something that I've always wanted to do. I've been shaping a frame for a mirror for about two weeks now, using nothing but a Stanley 151 spoke shave :D :D :D because I thought it was a good idea.

It's come out quite nice after a number of days of effort, I've sanded it starting at 60 grit and finishing at 340 (i think)

I have put the first load of Briwax polish on, I used p1000 wet and dry as this is all that I had but it came up quite nice after buffing.

How should I carry on? Should I continue with p1000, 0000 wire wool or just use a cloth?

Probably sound very thick but this is not something that I know a lot about and I would like to do well.

Thanks in advance for your advice and look forward to a lot mure of this in the future.

K (hammer)

Hi risky duckfeet and welcome to the forum. If your frame is smooth enough which after 1000 grit I should think it will be then just use the wax on a cloth is my opinion. I have made a lot of pine furniture and usually only finish it to around 400grit before turning to the 0000 wire wool and wax and this seems to work fine.

Yes, welcome to the forum; lots of good stuff here.

I agree you should stop there. Very few furniture makers routinely go beyond 400 grit because the law of diminishing returns applies. There is a school of thought which holds that anything beyond 240 or 320 can inhibit the adhesion of some finishes but I have never seen any evidence for this. It certainly doesn't apply to wax otherwise no one would ever bother to wax polish a car!

I hope you realise that the world of wood is the path to great expenditure on tools and setting yourself ever more difficult problems to solve. I love it.

Jim

Thanks both of you, it came up very nice after a lot of buffing gut I think that I'm going to try putting a second coat on with 0000 wire wool. And then a couple more on top (just because I enjoy the buffing).
In future I might just do what you say and stop at the 320ish mark.
Cheers for the advice and I think the comment about expenditure may very well be right. :wink:

Back