Wire wool between coats (Tung)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diyfiesta

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I’m using Liberon Quick Dry Tung oil and never seem to get a smooth finish.

I’m following the manufacturers instructions and using 0000 steel wool lightly between coats but I can feel little bumps when all said and done.

I started by using sponges but felt that was putting too much on so switched to clothes for application. I’ve experimented with different pressures on the wire wool. If I go fairly hard, I can get it smooth-ish between coats and despite brushing away the wire wool bits that come off, it seems to be less than smooth again in the next coat. Should wire wool be breaking up like this and leaving bits everywhere?

Any advice for applying the quick dry Tung oil?

Cheers

What timber are you finishing? I had always used expensive Danish Oils but had to revert to cheap Toolstation own brand when finishing Oak veneer doors at our last house. With the exception of a few odd spots where I used scotchbrite I did not need to do anything between the rag applied three coats. They came up well.
I know use an Osmo Oil.

Colin

Hello!

I’m using Liberon Quick Dry Tung oil and never seem to get a smooth finish.

I’m following the manufacturers instructions and using 0000 steel wool lightly between coats but I can feel little bumps when all said and done.

I started by using sponges but felt that was putting too much on so switched to clothes for application. I’ve experimented with different pressures on the wire wool. If I go fairly hard, I can get it smooth-ish between coats and despite brushing away the wire wool bits that come off, it seems to be less than smooth again in the next coat. Should wire wool be breaking up like this and leaving bits everywhere?

Any advice for applying the quick dry Tung oil?

Cheers
I'm not sure if the Liberon product is pure tung oil but when I use tung oil I apply as little as possible per coat, just wetting the rag. But I use pure unpolymerised tung oil.

I’ve had great results with the Oli Natura hard wax oil - 4 coats flatting off in between…going up the grit grade’s finally finishing off with 2000 grit and then 0000 wire wool prior to waxing - super silk finish.

I've just used the Danish oil version. And got very smooth finish on some shop furniture. Good experiment. Sanded to 400grit. Added just enough and wiped with paper towel to remove excess straight away. Then buffed after 15mins so it's not sticky. Left overnight should be completely dry to touch or the steel wools going to be a disaster. Then lightly steel wooled, dusted off then repeat above. And should be smooth as a whistle. I personally normally just do one for shop furniture I must of been feeling fruity. If your surface feels sticky that is normally the issues means the oils been to thick and won't polymerize in the wood. I go through lots of paper towels.... And remember to wash, lay flat or burn them straight after lol I had a bin set on fire once freaked me out so ignore but I feel compelled whenever talking about curing oils haa

it might be that you're not leaving it long enough between coats, try leaving it much longer between coats and see if that helps.

Back