Watts Bros. (Sheffield) Ltd. 10ins. Planer/ Jointer query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seeall

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased a 52ins. x 10ins. jointer/ planer made by Watts Bros.
(Sheffield) Ltd. This is substantial cast iron machine, complete, except for the motor. The planer top section is bolted to a lower cast iron base - 34ins. overall height. The infeed (10 3/4ins.) and outfeed (9 3/4ins.) tables enable 5/8ins. rebates to be machined. The motor is mounted on a plate pivoted within the lower cast iron base of the planer, tensioning is applied by the weight of the motor against a coiled spring held by a bolt and wing nut arrangement. The two bladed steel block is 4ins. in diameter driven by a 3 3/4ins. V pulley.
I cannot find any reference to Watts Bros on the internet, I was wondering if you had any background on the company, its livery and their products, any photos would be a bonus? I am refurbishing this machine for my own use so I will need to know the horsepower, rpm of motor and size of pulley required? Any information, no matter how minor, would be gratefully received. I look forward to hearing from you.

If this is the wrong forum, please advise.

Regards

Bare minimum in single phase for a reasonable cut would be one and half horses. Perhaps half that in 3 phase.
More is better!
The original motor would probably have been 1440 RPM.
If you get stuck the driver pulley dia can be calculated.

Roy.

Back