Waterjet cut parts cost?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screwed

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea on the cost of a steel plate. Approx 200x150x16mm thick with 20 or so m8 bolt sized holes and one bigger hole.
Not done a drawing of it yet so can't get an quote online, but wanted a rough idea of cost in my head.
Thanks

No idea, but the waterjet place near me won't even let you in the door unless you are prepared to pay a £100 minimum order charge. They must have been wasting too much time dealing with enquiries for small jobs.

I had a scroll, water cut, made from 6 mm thick stainless steel plate - about 8 inch diameter. I was quoted about 250 pounds to have this cut on CNC mill. but opted for water cut at about 50 pounds !
The edge finish was not as smooth as milling, but works very well
5A.jpg

That is quite thick for water jetting. That would be more usually (economically) plasma cut. I am not saying it cannot be water cut, but that it will cost a premium to water cut in that thickness.

Holes whose diameter is less than the material thickness will cause issues.

My brother was Commercial Director of a small waterjet company years ago before he emigrated to OZ and they could cut steel thicker than that without issues, I watched it being done on several occasions and still have some offcuts of various metals I scrounged. I don't know about the larger hole but the M8 ones would be far easier to drill than cut.

No idea of price unfortunately as it's too long ago.

I had a scroll, water cut, made from 6 mm thick stainless steel plate - about 8 inch diameter. I was quoted about 250 pounds to have this cut on CNC mill. but opted for water cut at about 50 pounds !
The edge finish was not as smooth as milling, but works very wellView attachment 175001
That's a lovely bit of kit! Daren't show the Missus - the house is already full of wool-related hardware...

Sorry to not get back to you before this gents had a mad day.
Guess I'll have to get a drawing done and get a few quotes.
I thought wetjet would be the best, but sure the company involved would advise.
As for the bolt holes a simple mark made by the machine would do so as you say it can be drilled. Just want the cnc accuracy of the layout.
I like that Sawtooth, but why did 'Wire'Wool come to mind 😆

The best machine for cutting your part out is a CO2 laser. It might have changed since I retired 7 years ago but fibre lasers wouldn’t cut that thickness. A CO2 laser will. Laser cutting is far cheaper than water, and is happy cutting the bolt holes of the size you require.
Plasma will cut it but the cut is rough and it can’t cut the bolt holes. There are plasma punch machines that would also punch out the bolt holes, but these are really ‘antiques’ these days.
Your biggest issue will be that 16mm isn’t much used so finding somewhere that had it will be the issue

The best machine for cutting your part out is a CO2 laser. It might have changed since I retired 7 years ago but fibre lasers wouldn’t cut that thickness. A CO2 laser will. Laser cutting is far cheaper than water, and is happy cutting the bolt holes of the size you require.
Plasma will cut it but the cut is rough and it can’t cut the bolt holes. There are plasma punch machines that would also punch out the bolt holes, but these are really ‘antiques’ these days.
Your biggest issue will be that 16mm isn’t much used so finding somewhere that had it will be the issue
The thickness is isn't set in stone so I can work around whats more commonly available.
as I said it looks like i'll have to put a drawing together and see what these companies say.
Cheers 👍

It’s not what the laser can cope with its finding a laser company with the thickness you want in stock. You can of course buy a sheet of 16mm, but that will be expensive when you just want a small bit if it.

Back