Warping kitchen frontals

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Over the last several months I've noticed that the frontals on our full-height fridge have started to warp and wondered if anyone had come across this. There are two frontals both mounted on to the full height door.
P1060848.JPG

P1060851.JPG

P1060852.JPG

Roger

It took me a good few minutes to figure out what I was looking at there - the pictures need rotating.

Does the warpage just centre around the middle of the bottom door, as in a "bow"? That's how it looks in the pictures.

What type of doors are they - I presume MDF with a high gloss laminate?

Cheers

Karl

And I presume that each door is hinged top and bottom to the carcass, and the only other fixings on the door are on the handle side, where they are attached to the fridge door? I assume that the door of the fridge is a single with you saying that it is just a fridge, and therefore presumably not a fridge/freezer.

Were the doors flush with the end panel when fitted? There has been some significant movement on the door and i'm just trying to work out how it may have occurred - not easy when you can't see all the fixings up close.

Cheers

Karl

Assuming all the other doors in the kitchen are still flat *then it must be moisture or heat related. Is the fridge door closing properly? Is the fridge getting excessively hot, the doors on Sub Zero ones can suffer with this if the matrix gets blocked or the fan plays up. We have already eliminated adequate ventilation.

* Have you put a straight edge up against the other doors particularly the dishwasher is you have an integrated one?

Jason

It is a larder fridge with a tall single door. The two frontals are fixed 'door on door' - I hate those slider thingies! So each door has four fixing points that fix directly onto the edges of the actual fridge door.

I slid some paper into the seal and shut the door and the paper was gripped pretty tightly down the length of the door.

The bowing is linear across the width of the door. In other words, it's bowed the same at the top from the hinge side to the opposite side...and ditto at the bottom. Ditto then for the second door frontal.

The doors are MDF with a high gloss finish and came from Magnet.

The magnet ones have a painted finish not vinyl wrapped, at least the couple that I have fitted in the past were painted.

Jason

If the kitchen is new, there must be some sort of warrenty. I dont like 18mm doors as the larger ones are prone to movement.
If the sun shines on these doors it can cause this sort of movement. Because its fridge doors you could sort it out by kerfing out the back with a circular saw but this would be a last resort.

Back