Warped Wooden Lamp Base - Why?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

city17

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm trying to find out why the oak base of a small lamp has started to warp.

You can see the problem in the two images below, the wood warped and is pulling the glued on plastic down:

IMG_2E908EE95E69-1.jpeg
IMG_ED110DA17E55-1.jpeg

I have some theories why it started to warp, but I'm not sure which one is most likely, maybe someone here can help?
  • The base is made from some old oak of unknown origin. I had it lying around and I think it originally belonged to the base of some machine, but it looked decent once I cut and planed it.
  • I finished the oak with a mix of boiled linseed oil and wax (Kreidezeit Lappenwachs) on both sides.
  • The top side of the oak is glued to the 3D printed lamp, so I have sanded it to remove the wax for better adhesion.
  • The lamp uses a LED that doesn't really get too warm, you can easily touch it, but it does generate some heat from the top side.
  • I've made a few more of these lamps, and they don't seem to have this issue (yet!), some of them are from different stock (quality recent white oak)
  • Happened slowly over about 4 months
Is it due to heat from the top + one side having less finish? Or just tensions in the wood itself? Or some other reason?

Very often older pieces of wood, that appear stable in shape, will distort slightly after being reshaped or cut. Usually it is caused by internal stresses re-aligning themselves after residual moisture that remains is released.

You'll get this when re-sawing supposedly dry planks - very often the twist appears before you've finished the cut.

I think part of the problem with that is how one side will absorb more moisture than the other, perhaps a simple brace going cross grain will flatten it out and also allow air to circulate underneath, central heating can cause a lot of problems as well.

Could be one or all of what you’ve mentioned. A thin piece like that being heated on one side, I’d expect it to be moving. Veneered ply would be an option that’s more stable
Aidan

Back