wardrobe project - doors rub when I open them

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rather than try and eye up a 6mm gap I find it easier to mark to the centre of the cutter, so for an 18 mm door the distance from edge to centre is 23mm. I think the doors are to thick in the original post.

Charlie Woody":3uhgrtel said:
jasonB":3uhgrtel said:
First you need to look at the right type of hinge, the blumotion ones are here

http://publications.blum.com/2013/catalogue/en/#/102/

I would say you want to allow a 2mm gap so carcase of 19mm less 2mm gap equals 17mm which from the table gives an edge distance of 6mm, as I said above do a test to be sure but the hinge adjustment should be enough to take out any small differences.

Don't know what your jig is like but any half decent one will have an adjustment for edge distance, if not just knock up something like this, the screws can be used to adjust the distance or just screw the batten on where you need it.

jig2.jpg

Thanks Jason.

Do I need to make any allowance for the thickness of the door?

What is the correct distance from the front of the carcase for the hinge mounting plates as I can't see that on the link (might be me as I find it difficult to not lose the place when I zoom in)?

Jason

I made up the jig like your photo and did a test cut which had the required 6 mm inset. However, when I cur the door stile I ended up with a 5.5 mm inset :cry: What a muppet am I :oops:

Have I ruined the stile or if I do the remaining cuts the same will I get away with it do you think?

Should be able to compensate for it with the adjustment in teh hinge

Its not just a test cut that I suggested, drill a bit of scrap style material and fit a hinge to see how it all pans out

Latest posts

Back