Warco 2b5/2b12 pillar drills

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julesbarn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there

Anyone had experience with these? It looks like a commonly seen design, sold under various brands. The larger 2b12 looks identical to one of the axi trade ones (axi is same spec but with new belt system and an led...and £100 more!).
I just don't want to go round in circles,looking at what seem to be basically the same machines, without knowing if there are any unseen differences,or the the various supplier's customer service reputations.(we all know Axminster has great customer service..but often at a price).

Any thoughts on the warco,or any other comparable brand gratefully received.

I dont really want to spend over £300 if i can help it!

Cheers

Jules

Jules

Warco seem to get good reviews, but I have no experience of them myself, its seem that with all pillar drills its the shaft play at full extension that is the measure of its efficiency/quality.

If you are in the habit of using the depth stop, the type that uses a threaded rod is only as good as its mounting, I have a bench top drill and the stop is of this type and is basically unusable having a plastic plate to support it, however I also have a floor standing pillar drill (Sealy) which uses a dial setting on the side of the tower, I don't know how it works internally, but you set the depth on the dial once you have lowered the drill to the workpiece and it does not let you lower any further when you reach the depth selected, its a quantum leap over the threaded bolt type.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Shame it's too far for me to go look at these drills. The depth stop looks like the threaded rod type. As this will be my first pillar drill,I'm not sure whether that would bother me. As for accuracy,i wouldn't know until i received it!
Two of the axi trade series are basically the same as the warco 2b5 and 2b12, but boast good accuracy and NSK bearings,but both are around £100 more! Are they really worth the extra??

Any more thoughts folks?...

Jules

I've got the 2F which is very similar to the 2b12 and am very happy with it. The depth stop has a metal base and the built in work light is very useful. I bought this before Axminster released the revised Trade range and having seen them I would still stick with the Warco - I'm a hobby user so the cost difference would be a greater consideration than the belt type or bearings used (in terms of life of the machine rather than the accuracy, which I have no issues with).

Ah thanks. Given that i have never owned (and hardly ever used) a pillar drill, i guess (after doing a reasonable amount of research) i come on here to have my hunch as to what to buy,either reenforced by others opinions and experiences of a product, or to be persuaded not to buy it. Because, in this instance,i have no idea. So thank you, no idea (and Mike)!

I think i shall call Warco in the morning, ask some questions, and end up ordering the 2b5...or perhaps the 2b12 if I'm feeling particularly rich.

Many thanks,

Jules

Sent from my crappy android tablet using both my thumbs : )

At least if buying new you can send it back, I think from what you have been told you know what to check, shaft play at full extension and the depth stop are a beginning, let us know how you get on?

Mike

Yes,buying new is a more comfortable option for me; and anyway,i can't find anything used within reasonable driving distance. This is a great learning curve..I'm an experienced woodcarver aiming to expand my skillset and capabilities with some new toys!

I will let you know how i get on. Many thanks for all the advice,as always.

Cheers,

Jules

Just to add my own experience. I bought a mid range metal lathe from Warco some years ago and the customer service was hands down the worst I have ever received from any UK supplier. They are clearly just a box shifter IMO.

I bought one of the new Axminster Trade pillar drills. It was expensive, but when I asked about an alignment issue they immediately (next day) replaced the whole thing.

I bought a milling machine from Warco some years back and had great service from them. The delivery driver Dave was particularly helpful. They generally get better reviews than some other suppliers. They have open days every year with special offers and get packed out with customers looking for a bargain. Their next Open day is 11th March.

http://www.warco.co.uk/content/7-exhibitions-shows

Back