Wanted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone help here

I am looking for some 1/4" thick rubber to put between my Lathe and stand and under the 4 feet , for insulation

something like conveyor belt rubber

any ideas ? :wink:

How about anti-fatigue matting,as sold by Axminster ? (Yes,I know it's foam and not rubber,but still think it would work)
Or find a farmer with some old tractor tyres and get the angle grinder out :wink:

Andrew

hi blister
how big a piece do you want ?
stuff that i just got is about 4/5mm thick rubber
any good
your welcome to whats left if its big enough for your requirements
pm me
mel

I would try your local garage and see iff you can get some old rubber washers that come off of shock absorbers. there are some makes that have a spigot at one or both ends - this is the type you should look for. You'd want to make sure they weren't contaminated by oil as this will cause them to perish. You may even be able to buy them new from somewhere like halfords. you would then have 1/4 - 1/2" thick 'washers that you can put between parts and the bolts then go through the middle. alternatively you could get some 'silent bloc' engine or gearbox mountings. the type I'm thinking of have a stud at each end with a lump of rubber in the middle. I would have thought that this would be a better option than just putting a bit of rubber between the two mating surfaces and then clamping them up with a nut and bolt. the only other thing to add is that you should use nyloc type nuts which won't undo on their own.

Steve

Blister

Are you sure it will be thick enough..particularly with the weight of your lathe. I used offcuts from an old gym mat...very solid rubber and doesn't compress that much. I have some spare if you would like them.

Roger

What you really want is machine mounts.

We used to have 30 ton punching machines at work sitting on 4 machine mounts and they never moved.

Kind of like this but much bigger...

ebay link

When I was learning to drum and needed practice pads I was told to go to the railway station and look out for little rubber mats that are used for putting between the track and the sleeper. They are about 200 x 200 in size and are a mixture of rubber and cork and if they are designed to take the weight of a train I'm sure a lathe is nothing. I remember seeing thousands of them and some lying in a ditch at a layby at the station where they park the trains. Watch out though, I think its now illegal to go walking on the tracks :shock: :!:

They were about 1/4 inch thick too

1/4" is fine. What size do you need* cos I have some available depending how much you need?. You should also use rubber washers (got some somewhere) above the leg flange, for full isolation from the floor anchor bolts/screws.

(* I'm guessing about 75 x 100 from the picture?)

cheers,

Ike.

4" x 5"'s for the 4 legs I'm guessing?

but what're the 10" x 12"'s for?

Back