Want to buy: Bench chisel set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pekka Huhta

Established Member
Reaction score
I have worked for years with a very mixed set of chisels. Some of them I love, some of them not. It's frustrating to have to hone the chisels to different angles just because the quality varies so much. And, to be honest, I would love to have a bench "set" instead of a dozen different chisels.

As I was making new arrangements for chisel storage I decided that I'll get a new, good set. Finally.

Wishlist:

- I prefer the handle of my paring gouges, as on the below piccie.

- Bevel edge chisels, preferably older. If the chisels have machined necks (instead of the older, square forged necks) they are too new.
- Lengths... I'd say about 9-10". No stumps, but not paring chisels either.
- Widths from (1/8") 1/4" to 1½. 7-10 chisels.
- They don't have to be from same manufacturer, as long as the quality and looks are about the same on all. However I don't want to collect these from single chisels as the descriptions always vary so much that I always end up with slightly different chisel than I was aiming for.

Also if you happen to have noted something of this style for sale on a tool dealer's pages or eBay, please send me a note. I've been looking for these for a long time, but now I just decided to have a go with them.

I know I'm asking for quite a lot, but well, they just don't walk to my bench by themselves. Also feel free to offer sets that don't necessarily fulfill all of the requirements, or partial sets. Or a couple of gouges of the same style :) I also understand that they won't be necessarily cheap, but then again.... You can't buy brand new 100 years old chisels from Axminster :D

Pekka

Latest posts

Back