Walnut/ABW substitute

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n0legs

Established Member
Reaction score
I need a decent substitute for walnut, if there is one.
I'm not worried about the colour, I can sort that, it's the grain and figure I'm more concerned with.
I need to make a picture frame for No1 Daughter :roll: and like always it's a short notice deal :cry:
The biggest section size will be 45mm, so I was wondering if any of you fine gentlemen and ladies would have a solution.
I'm off to the timber yard tomorrow but doubt they'll have any there. I read somewhere Alder isn't too far away, but can't confirm this, does anyone know?
Thanks in advance :D

There's an African timber called Ovangkol, the Americans often refer to it as Shedua, that's a pretty close match for European Walnut.

Alder is just a bit nothing-ey, kind of like Poplar it's fairly bland, it's also fairly soft but okay for a picture frame.

Good luck!

Thanks Custard for the response.
That's another one I've never heard of, I'll look it up.
As it's only a fairly narrow section, no great areas of viewable figure and grain, I'm kind of hoping for a little luck with something passable.
I'll go look what they have. Checked their opening times and found they are listing Walnut, so might be lucky and get some of the real stuff.

Back