Wait for inspiration or go find it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good grief that's a deep question.....

I'm not sure that I "find" inspiration, more like that it finds me especially when my frustration levels are high, something just pops into my head. I'm not really a creative type of person more practical so I'm not sure if I'm driven to find or be found by inspiration in much the same way as an artist would be.

A professional artist of my aquaintance once told me that the finest inspiration he'd ever had was the sound of utilty bills plopping through the letter-box onto the doormat.

Different for us amateurs. But not that much different - find a need, and fill it. Garage door, coffee table, wife's mother's thimble collection cabinet.....

Great point Chappie! I bet the professionals are drawn to work every day, first by loving what they do, but then by paying those bills, feeding the kids, etc... I've seen work from guys who spent years building cabinets or doing trim carpentry, and then because of their knowledge of the tools and the materials find themselves experimenting with some new and amazing.

If anyone knows how to summon inspiration, please share! I'm envious of the father-in-law's ability to make things purely for pleasure. I, on the other hand, can only work based on needs arising.

Back