wadkin RS lathe restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No enamels can be sprayed, if anything they are easier to spray then other paints. You have to use synthetic thinners. The good thing about enamel is you can spray and handle the part in the same day. I tend to leave bits for a good 24 hrs before handling. The downside to enamel is its quite a brittle finish so it chips quite easily. I've tried coach paint before and the finish is nice but it takes ages to dry properly

I got the last of the spraying done

I decided to pimp out inside the headstock

I then prepped the lettering on the headstock and motor, I later found out that the green frog tape is not as good as the yellow for this use. When I removed the tape it brought some of the paint with it.

Heres the motor ready all done

Hi Dick to move machines around I have a pallet pump truck, to get into my garden theres a steepish slope so I have to use a block and tackle to drag machines up and down. In the workshop I use the block and tackle from a roof joist to lift heavy stuff. I have made a mistake with the motor on the stool, I built it up and didn't think I would have to lift it down. It must weigh 14stone :shock:
It used to be amusing when I first started messing with old iron, all I had was a block and tackle and some lengths of timber which I would cover in oil. It was all very egyption with levers and scaffolding tubes to roll on.
This one was fun because it came on a euro pallet missing two blocks, luckily I had the pump truck

I managed to get the motor plate and motor fitted.

I got the belt changer assembly put back together and the spindle

Thanks Bern, I've really enjoyed doing this one. I haven't found a home for this yet, so if theirs some one out there wanting a nice little lathe give me a shout :D This is going to have quite a nice spec and if anyone wants extras like a sliding tool carriage I might be able to find one. This lathe will certainly beet the pants of anything you can get from axminster.

Wallace, how do you reattach motor and model plates- do you re-rivet them, and if so how?

As I mentioned earlier I have been black oxiding some of the parts to help stop future rust. All you do is clean and degrease the part and then stick it in the solution, take it out and use a water dispersant like 3in1 or wd40 and then wax it.

I needed some brass washers so I marked some squares out with centres

Drilled some holes

Cut the squares out on the bandsaw and then mounted them together on the lathe

Heres a clip of the spinny bit

http://youtu.be/XyTN5r3JnA4

And the finished washers

Its a thing of beauty! If my workshop wasn't up some stupidly steep stairs (and i didn't have a perfectly good lathe already) I would be first in the queue!

What are you using for the black oxidation? Did you buy a kit or you just happened to have the chemicals sitting in the corner of the shed. :)

I managed to get the bed attached

And made some more brass washers

I'm not very happy how the black turned out on some of the items

Latest posts

Back