Wadkin BEM Bearings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ger_58

Reaction score
Hi
Can anyone advise me on changing the bearings in a Wadkin BEM spindle moulder,generally where to start and how to remove the old ones and refit the new bearings from start to finish.
Ger_58

Hello Ger
I have the same to do myself sometime sooner rather than later. I plan to spend a few minutes with my head inside the machine over the coming weekend to try and figure the easiest way to get the spindle assembly out, If no one else has any information I will let you know what I find out.
Fred

Hello Ger
I have the same to do myself sometime sooner rather than later. I plan to spend a few minutes with my head inside the machine over the coming weekend to try and figure the easiest way to get the spindle assembly out, If no one else has any information I will let you know what I find out.
Fred

Hi Fred
Thanks for your reply,I look forward to hearing back on your investigations.
GER

Hi Fred
Just wondering did you get a chance to look at the spindle to see how to go about changing the bearings.
GER

Hi GER
Sorry, didn’t get around to it last weekend, I have however had a poke around today.
It doesn’t look easy to be fair, I think it’s a case of taking the whole column assembly out through the front which would mean disassembly inside the cabinet.
Another option might be to support the assembly from underneath, disconnect it from the top and remove that from on the cabinet, then take the spindle assembly out through the top. Either way it looks quite involved just to get to the point of removing the spindle and bearings.
There are a few companies out there who restore woodworking machines, I might contact one of those on the off chance they have done one before and will share any information.
Im in the fortunate position of having heavy lifting gear available so might try taking the top off and do a general overhaul while it’s easy.
I don’t know how soon I will start but I will keep you updated, how soon are you thinking yours needs doing?

regards, Fred

Hi Fred
Really appreciate you coming back to me,I did the same poking around and actually came to the same conclusions as yourself but still not sure what the proper approach to the job is.
I emailed Daltons and asked for advice but they were'nt helpful at all citing that if the machine was not purchased from them they could not be liable for the safety of operators and would have to arrange for an engineers assessment on the machine beforehand ,I would have expected a better response from Nasa if I had asked for advice on building a space ship.
I'm going to try and do some work on it next week and if I dont hear anything back from yourself in the meantime I'll let you know how I get on.
GER

No worries GER

I’m right in the middle of taking a few bits off, the machine is relatively new to me and it’s the first chance over the past 18 months I know I won’t be using it for a while
I am wondering if the spindle will come out of the rise and fall column through the top if everything is out of the way on either end, plenty of easing oil going on for now and probably another evening studying the diagram in the manual
Fred

Yes this is the predicament Fred if we knew which is the proper way to start and take out the cylinder that would be a great help and that’s all I needed to know from Daltons.
I have a feeling it must come out through the top as the dust cap on top can’t come down but still not sure.
It looks like your going to have a busy long weekend ahead of you 😆.
Ger

I am writing a procedure for you.
I have done this for customers on BEM’s and others.
However, you do this at your own risk!
I take no responsibility for you damaging anything, or hurting yourselves.
I trained in machinery repairs as a trade.
Once I’m done, I’ll upload it as a pdf, because it will be too long for a post, plus it means you can print it out if you like.
It would help you to get a copy of the BEM manual to get a parts list.
They are out on the internet.
p.s. if I miss a step, sorry in advance, but I’ve not done one for a few years and I’m unwell at the moment so a lot on my mind.
Paralysed from the waist down from cancer.

Hi Paul
Much appreciate you contacting me and I absolutley understand what you are saying about it being my own responsibility for my own actions.
I have the BEM manual so I know where all the parts go its just the procedure.
I appreciate that if you are not well it may take a while for you to get everything together so there is no panic.
I wish you well in the future and look forward to hearing back from you.
Thanks
GER

Well Paul you certainly work fast,this is excellant and reading through it its exactly what we need and its very thorough and now at least we know where to start and again I'm fully aware that its our own responsibilty to look after our own safety and follow the instructions properly.
I look forward to getting into this and sorting it out and I will let you know how we get on.
Enjoy the weekend
Again many thanks
GER

Yes this is the predicament Fred if we knew which is the proper way to start and take out the cylinder that would be a great help and that’s all I needed to know from Daltons.
I have a feeling it must come out through the top as the dust cap on top can’t come down but still not sure.
It looks like your going to have a busy long weekend ahead of you 😆.
Ger

Fred
Are you picking up on this reply from Paul and hopefully it is of use t you as well
GER

Know nothing about this machine but a tip based on years using the hot and cold method of installing bearings. Never assume they will go straight on, they sometimes need a bit of help. Make sure you have the correct tools ready to go to push the bearing fully home. You don't want to be faffing about as the temperatures will warm up/cool down surprisingly quickly. Last thing you want a to get the bearing half way on and then everything expands/contracts and you can't move it.

Great advice from netblindpaul.

I've taken out an SCM spindle which was somewhat similar. ....that machine uses a special bearing that is fitted with a number of washers that remove bearing slack as they are tightened - expensive bearing.

Great advice from netblindpaul.

I've taken out an SCM spindle which was somewhat similar. ....that machine uses a special bearing that is fitted with a number of washers that remove bearing slack as they are tightened - expensive bearing.
I think the SCM’s use angular contact ball races which rely on the correct pre-load.
High speed CNC machinery say 20-30k rpm use a similar configuration.
I have done those too.
I think the most expensive bearings I have fitted since being freelance were around £900 per pair. Two pairs in the spindle.
Before that it was the ballscrew support bearings on a CNC precision automotive grinder.
They were going on £3k per pair, luckily the ballscrew was ok. Three pairs on the screw.
Repair cost was dwarfed by the downtime though! 🤣

This us why I am so cautious with bearings. I treat them all like they are stupid prices and I don’t have any problems with the work then.

Back