Startrite Bandit Motor Issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven W

Reaction score
Hi All,

My 13a fuse blows when I turn on my bandsaw, so I assumed a motor issue. I removed the motor and stripped it. One of the bearings is a little tight but cannot see anything else mechanically wrong. I’m no sparky, so need some advice on how to diagnose the issue please. Or should I just buy a new motor.

When I tried to start it, it did try and turn very briefly but each time blowing a fuse.

It’s been fine for the 20yrs I’ve had it, until now.

Thanks in advance,

Steven. Halifax, UK.

IMG_2378.jpeg
IMG_2379.jpeg
IMG_2384.jpeg
IMG_2380.jpeg

Looks like the stator windings are cooked, notice the blackened copper windings.

It would be very expensive to rewind the motor, likely more than the total value of the bandsaw, so it would be best to find a replacement and you will need to modify the machine to make a modern equivalent fit because the flange mounting will likely be different as well as the shaft diameter, and you'll most likely have to cut a larger hole in the body of the machine to accommodate the newer, larger motor. Not too tricky for the technically minded, in an ideal world you would find an old Hoover motor exactly the same to replace it with, but they are quite rare now.

Personally, I would have a think about upgrading the bandsaw entirely.

Looks like the stator windings are cooked, notice the blackened copper windings.

It would be very expensive to rewind the motor, likely more than the total value of the bandsaw, so it would be best to find a replacement and you will need to modify the machine to make a modern equivalent fit because the flange mounting will likely be different as well as the shaft diameter, and you'll most likely have to cut a larger hole in the body of the machine to accommodate the newer, larger motor. Not too tricky for the technically minded, in an ideal world you would find an old Hoover motor exactly the same to replace it with, but they are quite rare now.

Personally, I would have a think about upgrading the bandsaw entirely.
Thanks buddy. I got a price to rewind the motor and fit new bearings for £300. Is it worth it, or should I get a fresh saw?

Thanks buddy. I got a price to rewind the motor and fit new bearings for £300. Is it worth it, or should I get a fresh saw?

I thought that would be about what it would cost to rewind, realistically the Bandit is only worth around £250-300 in complete working condition so it's a lot to invest in a machine that doesn't gain any value from it.

Although, if the Bandit is the ideal size for you, you probably won't find a new bandsaw that's comparable in quality for under £1000, so you have to weigh up if you want to get another 20 years out of the Bandit for £300, or find something new or even a higher quality secondhand machine. You can often pick up quite a clean Startrite 352 for around £400, or if you want bigger again Wadkin C5s are usually about £1000.

Your motor is an imperial B56 frame one . I used to buy these from an excellent firm in Sheffield called BEATSONS . Phone number is 0114 244 9955 . They also do repairs . The £300 price quoted was a deliberate ‘off put ‘ one .

Another vote for Beatsons they look to be only 50 miles from you, suggest speak first then reassemble and drive over for them to quote.
If the Bandit does what you need then £300 is a good deal to keep your trusty friend on the road

I thought that would be about what it would cost to rewind, realistically the Bandit is only worth around £250-300 in complete working condition so it's a lot to invest in a machine that doesn't gain any value from it.

Although, if the Bandit is the ideal size for you, you probably won't find a new bandsaw that's comparable in quality for under £1000, so you have to weigh up if you want to get another 20 years out of the Bandit for £300, or find something new or even a higher quality secondhand machine. You can often pick up quite a clean Startrite 352 for around £400, or if you want bigger again Wadkin C5s are usually about £1000.
Thanks for advising. I need to think about my options. The saw does everything I need so may get the motor fixed somewhere. Cheers.

I used a Bandit for many years in the school I taught at. The build quality was excellent and I doubt you would find anything better in that size of machine. The motor was however gutless compared to that fitted to other makes. I'd bite the bullet and get a new motor of around 1Kw and you'll be very happy.

Colin

Would a 16 amp feed cure it?

Did you miss the 3/4 HP written on the motor?

Since 1HP is roughly 750W and there are approx. 4 amps per kilowatt, it should not be blowing a 13A fuse even allowing for start up current.

---

The £300 price quoted for the rewind is not excessive in and of itself - it is a labour-intensive process and the smaller the motor, the more fiddly it is.

A larger motor would likely be a very similar price. A more fair assessment of the rewind price would be to call it uneconomic.

Did you miss the 3/4 HP written on the motor?

Since 1HP is roughly 750W and there are approx. 4 amps per kilowatt, it should not be blowing a 13A fuse even allowing for start up current.

---

The £300 price quoted for the rewind is not excessive in and of itself - it is a labour-intensive process and the smaller the motor, the more fiddly it is.

A larger motor would likely be a very similar price. A more fair assessment of the rewind price would be to call it uneconomic.
Thanks. I’m going to get the motor rewound. Cheers.

Your motor is an imperial B56 frame one . I used to buy these from an excellent firm in Sheffield called BEATSONS . Phone number is 0114 244 9955 . They also do repairs . The £300 price quoted was a deliberate ‘off put ‘ one .

Back