Wadkin AGS 10

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody0

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im stuck.

For a while now, Ive had my wadkin 10AGS. Its never cut well. (Burning when ripping) So today I decided that I would do it properly, (align the blade to the mitre) which is fine I did that with the blade fully extended up. Between 0.01 front to back. (Metric)

The issue is when I lower the blade, the blade becomes out of alignment. Between 0.28 and 0.35mm out of being true. (Metric)

So I thought, it must be the trunnion. But I cant see anything in the saw or on the internet that would adjust it to true it up. Does anyone have any ideas?

I should also note, that spindle mounting casting has been welded, pretty good job but im a but suspect that it might, might be warped.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 41.jpg
    41.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 172
  • 71.jpg
    71.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 61.jpg
    61.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 172
Hi Woody,

I can’t see your pictures but there are a couple of points on the AGS10” that need asjusting to keep the saw aligned through its rise and fall arc. You will need to take the table off to get at them though and put it back on to check your progress - big pain in the wotsit but I haven’t figured out a better way of doing it.

Firstly with the table off and when standing in front of the machine as though you were about to use it, look down in front of you and you will see the pivot point for the rise and fall trunnion. There is a male member that rotates and fits into the female casting which has a grub screw to keep the parts together. If there is a noticeable gap between the two then slacken off the grub screw, bring the parts together and tighten up again. You want there to be positive resistance but not for the rise and fall to be hard work. Next there is the gib strip right at the back of trunnion with three square head bolts applying pressure. You want that pressure to be equal throughout the arc of the rise and fall so adjust as necessary. Again you will want to eliminate sloppiness in the movement but not make the rise and fall hard work. Sometimes the gib strip is missing. If it is you will need to replace it with a suitable bit of brass. Replace the top, test, rinse and repeat. A bit of a faff but worth it IMHO as a well set up AGS is a great machine. Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Thanks Memzey,

Ive taken the table off.

I see two grub screws that hold the pivot bolt hard against the female casting. Ive undone them and tapped the pivot bolt hard home.

Ive put a dial indicator the body of the saw cabinet and wind the blade up and down. It still is out by 0.4mm.

If I adjust the the grub screws so the pivot is away from the casting. 1mm gap, the result is much the same.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 91.jpg
    91.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 171
Okay after some persistence, i can get it within .1mm. But its tight to wind up and down. Surely it cant be that tight to wind up or down.

I should also note, that the slide that has the 3 pins applying pressure on it is made of steel. I think it should be brass.

The gib was a factory steel part.
Take out thegibsnd clean the slot out applying white grease or silicone spray both of which dry to ease the movement. Also clean the worm drive and privets of the rod and again apply the same lubricant. Don’t use oil or standard grease or sawdust will collect and make a horrid sticky mess.

Hi woody.

I can see your photos now.

If your angles are within acceptable tolerances but you are now experiencing too much resistance then I suggest doing as deema has said above. By that I mean ensuring that all of the moving parts are clean and appropriately lubricated, including the gib and the trunnion pivot you started with. Sawdust can get in the gap there and make a mush in the mechanisms which can result in increased resistance. It’s also worth checking that the gib strip isn’t getting snagged on any burrs and has a smooth, clean surface mating with another smooth, clean surface on the trunnion. You are more likely to encounter backlash rather than resistance from the worm gear mechanism but don’t let that stop you giving it a good clear out and lube. Good luck and keep the photos coming!

Well I clocked it up within .1mm lubricated and still the same result. Out by .3mm when I mounted the table ontop of it again. At full reach its perfect 80mm above the table. (But dangerous) But as soon as I lower it down to about 40mm or even less, it cuts more on the back of the blade then the front.

Not sure what to do now.

A small but important point, You maybe should be taking measurements from the arbour flange and not the blade, or at the very least marking the blade so your doing it from the same place.

Good points by Wallace above. If you still get the same reading then I would try to tighten up the lower gib strip bolt and test again.

Back