Wadkin AGS 10 restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michal

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all! My name is Michal and im from Poland!
First at all i would like to apologize for my bad english. (im trying to not use google translator)

I found this forum looking around in google informations about this saw. First topic that i found was about restoration of Wadkin AGS 10 by ManowarDave. Thanks to that i knew how to undress ;) my saw.

Few weeks ago i become a happy owner of Wadkin AGS 10.

20210119_133045.jpg

20210119_133005.jpg

missing blade guard

20210119_133021.jpg
20210119_133037.jpg

20210119_133052.jpg

As u see some bandit wanted to make somethin interesting in table...

20210119_132726.jpg

Im wondering if this is an oryginal part becouse i saw photos of other arms.

20210119_132710.jpg

And here is sliding table

20210119_132952.jpg

Saw as shown up on photos was dirty and very rusted. Mechanism of fall and rise didnt work. And mechanism to set angle was working very very hard. I was hoping that cleaning up all from dust, old oil and rust will help. Now i know that hope is the mother of fools...

20210119_200528.jpg

So this is my biggest problem so far. Oryginal part on uk ebay is very expensive. (almost price that i payed for saw). Anyway i started restoration.
After few hours of unscrewing the screws (all unscrewed without a big problem!!!) parts of saw was ready to sanding and painting. Screw by screw i was more fascinated about this saw. Parts are very massive. All parts are matched very well to each other. Even rust and bad treatment for years didnt damaged saw inside (except that rise and fall mechanism....)

20210121_135333.jpg

So i decided to sand it with sand(?) and give powder coating (dont know profesional name of this type of painting). In my city are few companies that make it.

And here we have nice and clean parts. I decided that i will make new coating only on outside parts. All inside will be in oryginal color.
20210122_120407.jpg
20210122_120500.jpg

After few days they called me to pick up painted parts. And herre it is Black with red deatails! In real looks amazing!

20210127_160612.jpg
20210127_160635.jpg

So for now thats all. I cleaned up all inside parts and trying to find someone here in Poland that can make me new once rise and fall mechanism. This part is need on beginning so i cant assemble saw...

Looking foward to seeing this as it goes. Im currently second thinking my choice to sell the parts and not restore it but i have an AGS in the same state as yours currently is; im trying to decide if its worth restoring or not economical to do it. Ill keep in touch if i decide to sell parts!

Looking foward to seeing this as it goes. Im currently second thinking my choice to sell the parts and not restore it but i have an AGS in the same state as yours currently is; im trying to decide if its worth restoring or not economical to do it. Ill keep in touch if i decide to sell parts!

Hello. I love this saw. in my opinion its amazing machine. Built with passion. So far sanding and painting wasnt so expensive. We will see what can i make with rise and fall mechanism.

That is going to be great, the powder coat looks really nice. It will be fit for another 50 years.

Ollie

Lovely. I have one too and it is brilliant. Good luck with the rise and fall. Yes the part is hard to find (bribe King Aether) unless from another old machine. But you probably have better small machine shops in Poland than we do here. I would get the damaged gear teeth built up with the right metal by a welder (I think it is bronze) then cut on a milling machine with an indexer/gear cutting attachment. No need for a dedicated gear cutting machine. The complete part would be hard to make, though not impossible.

Nothing a bit of welding can't fix.
I wouldn't use an ark welder if I had to do the the job again though.
Used a half round file that I ground down a bit, it wasn't easy to do without a template of some kind.
That would be worth thinking about how to do well, if you decide to have a bash.

SAM_2647.JPG

Hello. Thanks all for reply. Someone told me its cast iron. Welding cast iron is hard and can be easy broken. So if it fails i will lose example to make new part. I cant risk. But its posible to make new one. So far i was in one shop that make gears like this one. they told me that cost of making new one will be around 120 £ . There are 2 problems:
- tooths are at an small angle. Like 2-3 °
- to make this small part they need to cut all wheel and then cut this part from it (so maybe i will have more then 1 part haha)

On monday i will go to next shop to check price there. My minister of finance (wife :ROFLMAO:) gave me permission to spend 200£ for restoration. 80£ was sanding and painting. Cant spend now rest of my money for making gear becouse when i start assemble saw it may turn out that I have to buy something else...

And i didnt mention about one more small problem... Making this part will be easy and this time cost not big. Just 30£. But micro adjustment i can make in future when my minister will be gentle for me again :p
20210121_093402.jpg

Someone told me its cast iron. Welding cast iron is hard and can be easy broken...
Hi Michal. If it is cast iron the gear teeth can still be built up by brasing (adding brass with an oxy-acetylene torch). If the whole casting is heated first then it is unlikely to crack.

Brasing is the traditional way to repair broken cast iron (before nickle welding rods were invented).

Good luck.

Cheers, Vann.

I agree with Vann, you don't need much metal buildup and brazing rod will do.

Michal, yes you need a new fine adjustment pinion. Mine isn't that bad but I could do with a new one. So when the Finance MInister signs off on the project, please make two and I'll buy one from you.

I would say that the rise and fall gear is a good thing to spend money on at this stage. It's a lot of disassembly to do it later and it is critical. And if you make three or four, I am pretty sure you could sell the surplus on here. Get the machine shop to put the screw holes in the right places at the same time. This gear and the fine adjustment gear seem to be the commonest bits that get worn out,

Your tilt mechanism looks pretty good. So the only other thing you need worry about is the bearings on the spindle and any issues with the motor, Having disassembled it this far, I think you should be able to see what problems remain.

Good luck!

Keith

Hi Michal. If it is cast iron the gear teeth can still be built up by brasing (adding brass with an oxy-acetylene torch). If the whole casting is heated first then it is unlikely to crack.

Brasing is the traditional way to repair broken cast iron (before nickle welding rods were invented).

Good luck.

Cheers, Vann.

I agree with Vann, you don't need much metal buildup and brazing rod will do.

Guys thanks very much for advice but like i said before if somethin will go wrong i will lose my model for rebuild new part. On uk ebay this part is in insane prcie of almost 300 £. That make nonsense of rebuilding this saw and i will stay with bunch of usless scrap metal. So in my opinion in my situation is the best to make new part. And like MusicMan said if i will get 3 or 4 gears ill try to sell em on UK ebay for some normal money.

Michal, yes you need a new fine adjustment pinion. Mine isn't that bad but I could do with a new one. So when the Finance MInister signs off on the project, please make two and I'll buy one from you.

Ofc i will let you know when i will make it. Just PM me ur addres and i will send You cash on delivery package. Hope that package to Uk after brexit is not to expensive :ROFLMAO:

Your tilt mechanism looks pretty good. So the only other thing you need worry about is the bearings on the spindle and any issues with the motor, Having disassembled it this far, I think you should be able to see what problems remain.

Good luck!

Keith

Yes. Tilt mechanism is in good condiction. I think that bearings on the spindle are fine also. Motor works but im not expert :p He got few little (i hope) issues but they shouldnt affect his work. Later i will post some photos.

Hello. Thanks all for reply. Someone told me its cast iron. Welding cast iron is hard and can be easy broken. So if it fails i will lose example to make new part. I cant risk. But its posible to make new one. So far i was in one shop that make gears like this one. they told me that cost of making new one will be around 120 £ . There are 2 problems:
- tooths are at an small angle. Like 2-3 °
- to make this small part they need to cut all wheel and then cut this part from it (so maybe i will have more then 1 part haha)

On monday i will go to next shop to check price there. My minister of finance (wife :ROFLMAO:) gave me permission to spend 200£ for restoration. 80£ was sanding and painting. Cant spend now rest of my money for making gear becouse when i start assemble saw it may turn out that I have to buy something else...

And i didnt mention about one more small problem... Making this part will be easy and this time cost not big. Just 30£. But micro adjustment i can make in future when my minister will be gentle for me again :pView attachment 102251
please excuse me if I'm talking nonsense as I know nothing about these machines, but looking at that shaft the wear seems very localised. Could you not just bore that pinion out and then use it the other way around on a new shaft so the unworn part is in play?

please excuse me if I'm talking nonsense as I know nothing about these machines, but looking at that shaft the wear seems very localised. Could you not just bore that pinion out and then use it the other way around on a new shaft so the unworn part is in play?

To be honest, i dont know :p First of all i dont have welder so once again i would have to order this job to someone. Nobody works for free in our times so i think from economical point of vew it will be better to make new part.

Thanks Gremmy ;)

While i will consider few options of rise and fall pinion i still need to clean rest of parts.

So here is my question. How to make great again (not America :ROFLMAO:) my table. It looks now very bad.

20210131_220225.jpg

First ill strat with my secret liquid to cleaning fireplaces glass. But it will help just with dirt and burnt dust but not with rust.
Can i use sandpaper and if yes should i start from 180? 240? or even higher?
If yes sandpaper can i use some orbital sander? Im lazy :p I got festool rotex with 150 mm disc and smaller one rts 400 with square foot.
Or maybe i should use steel wool or polishing pads or somethin like that.

Back