wadkin 30" DRA 1950s

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tool613

Established Member
Reaction score
tool613":tm7zge7q said:
my goal to get the bench shop equipped with 1950s Wadkin has been doing good this year. i started with the RS lathe ,then the PK table saw , and now the wadkin DR 30"band saw.

.the wadkin Dr is there best band saw model and i am glade i held out.it is a beauty of a saw.

special thanks to Hutch, Davecola,and RFC for there help. Hutch drove down with me on the 22hours trip to get this saw. i enjoyed every minute.

in the wild
wadkindr001.jpg

wadkindr002.jpg

hutch loves the game
wadkindr003.jpg

wadkindr006.jpg

davecola came to help load with hutch an me.
wadkindr008.jpg

wadkindr010-2.jpg

wadkindr011-1.jpg

wadkindr024.jpg

wadkindr021-1.jpg

any one seen the tilting fence for this saw?i would love to find one.
jack

So, Jack, after you fix this up what are you going to do with the lonely little Bursgreen? You realize that you're just taunting these folks, with Wadkin machines falling around you like maple leaves in an Ontario forest in November?:)

Kirk

Why you dirty .... I love it ,and it is damn sure a good thing I can't have it as my wife would cook my more sensitive parts were it to show up in my driveway. Picture it if you will "but honey , it just followed me home"... perhaps ? ... nah ,she would never go for it .

kirkpoore1":bhpnonke said:
So, Jack, after you fix this up what are you going to do with the lonely little Bursgreen? You realize that you're just taunting these folks, with Wadkin machines falling around you like maple leaves in an Ontario forest in November?:)

Kirk

Kirk the little bursgreen will hold small blades and the DRA larger. on need to purge myself.
everyone knows you need 3 band saw anyway. who wants to change blades. LOL.

tool613

9fingers":3dr8knd5 said:
It is good to see you Colonials appreciating 50s British machinery :lol:

I'm from the 50's too and have a heavy duty Pollard pillar drill from that era.

Good luck with your collection

If you need a manual there is one here
http://www.daltonsmachines.com/uploads/ ... 30,36_inch)_Bandsaw_Manual.pdf

Bob

Bob
when we grew of in grade school we sang god save the queen and then oh canada every morning. sady they stop do it in the late 60s. may of the vocational schools were equeped with wadkin machines in the 50s. many here do not know of wadkin and it flys under the radar at sales. once you have used Wadkin you would have to get a Martin to be better. thanks for the Dalton link,but i have already found it. this machine is 550volts as are many of the industrial shops in Canada. i will be running it off house hold power with a RPC and a transformer,all made from parts off the factory walls. in this last haul i got a 25hp motor to run both bench shop and planning mill.

Bob you might like to see my voodoo electrics on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CshzDpA4AXs

you can see the motors i got for free in the floor of the trailer.

thats Adam wondering when the big stuff will stop coming.
002-2.jpg

tool613

Looks like a good collection of motors and thanks for the link.

Your RPC sounds a bit noisy. I wonder if the capacitors are chosen quite right because that can make the pilot motor grumble a bit. Have you got a flywheel on the motor at all?
That saw is just effortless! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers

Bob

Bob as you may know you can only balance a rpc to one motor and load factor. she runs best with other motors on line. she is all so caped for hard start. i am putting it in an out building so i don,t hear it. i will run it with a mag motor switch and contact stations at the machines and door to the shop. i will use the 3rd leg in the motor starter to operate a exit light over the door to tell me its on.

bob i am trying to come up with away to add in a rpc as need in the line. so instead of a 25HP rpc have a 10hp and a 15 hp running together. any thoughts?

jack

tool613":ceby8hrx said:
Bob as you may know you can only balance a rpc to one motor and load factor. she runs best with other motors on line. she is all so caped for hard start. i am putting it in an out building so i don,t hear it. i will run it with a mag motor switch and contact stations at the machines and door to the shop. i will use the 3rd leg in the motor starter to operate a exit light over the door to tell me its on.

bob i am trying to come up with away to add in a rpc as need in the line. so instead of a 25HP rpc have a 10hp and a 15 hp running together. any thoughts?

jack

Hi Jack,
How about feeding the output of your step up transformer (which I assume is man enough for the full 25hp) around the shop and having several RPCs tuned to the machines that need them. You might need so slight delay switching from the start button on each machine to allow the relevant RPC to get up to speed before you hit it with the load of the machine.
Food for thought?

Bob

so guys i am looking for the fence for this saw. i have seen it in a catalog and i would love to find it. the threads are Whitworth . and if i make one where do you chaps get handles for that thread?

the fence is the one with the tilting option that i would like to make or find. where would you look for it?
sc0000c166.jpg

jack

Back