Wadkin PP dimensional saw and DR bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowMeister

Reaction score
PP spindle slide housing' (aka the front chip cover).jpg
I am a Kiwi woodworker with a growing passion for Wadkin machines. So far I have acquired an 1963 RS 8" lathe, a 1954 30" DR and most recently a 1961 PP dimension saw. All are in remarkably good working order but both the DR and the PP need some minor remedial work.

The guides on the bandsaw are not original and they are bulky with a few of the thread for various locking nuts stripped. I would like to replace the guides . Can anyone please advise me on the best replacement guides? I am considering a pair of upper and lower GL789 Guides for Wadkin C700 which are available on Ebay.

The PP is missing the 'cover for the spindle slide housing' (aka the front chip cover).
Does anyone have an original one of these from which they supply some accurate dimensions and photographs please?

Many thanks
Graham

Attachments

• Dr 30 off to the shed.jpg
    Dr 30 off to the shed.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 149
  • the current guides.jpg
    the current guides.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 151
  • PP at the pick up.jpg
    PP at the pick up.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 152
  • RS 8 safely at home.jpg
    RS 8 safely at home.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 151
  • PP spindle slide housing' (aka the front chip cover).jpg
    PP spindle slide housing' (aka the front chip cover).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 131
Welcome. You might also consider posting your question on the Canadian woodworking site where a number of members are likely to be able to help.

Welcome Graham, nice looking lumps you have their. The original guides for the DR are very simple things, just blocks of wood with a elongated hole to adjust. And a brass wheel to take the thrust. Can you not fix the guide setup you have, it looks pretty useful. I'm sure Jack used some kind of super duper brass type metal for his guides. He did make a very cool table guide insert.

SnowMeister":2v4k7jci said:
I am a Kiwi woodworker with a growing passion for Wadkin machines. So far I have acquired an 1963 RS 8" lathe, a 1954 30" DR and most recently a 1961 PP dimension saw...
Very nice. I don't think I've ever seen an RS woodlathe on Trademe, and possibly only one PP dimension saw (quite recently). Do your machines still have their Wadkin badges showing Serial & Test numbers?

SnowMeister":2v4k7jci said:
The guides on the bandsaw are not original and they are bulky with a few of the thread for various locking nuts stripped. I would like to replace the guides....
Don't throw away those guides too quickly. They're Chaco guides, still made in Switzerland. The threads are metric. I've got them on my Canadian made, 90 year old, 30" Preston bandsaw. Scrit (who used to post on various forums until about 5 years ago, and knew a lot about old English woodworking machines) reckoned they are the best there are. Personally, I don't have enough experience to know if that's the case. They are bulky.

I've just poached a Wadkin machine out of Auckland - an LP recessor - I guess I caught you napping :D . My other Wadkins came from Te Awamutu, Christchurch, Dunedin, and locally.

Cheers, Vann.

Thanks to the good folk who have replied. Its great to know there is another Kiwi collecting Wadkin machines. I appreciate the identification of the existing guides and I quite like to look of the Carter guides.
My fellow kiwi wanted to know about badges

RS 8" Lathe: serial No. RS 2174 Machine test No. 68614
DR 30" Bandsaw: serial No. DR 2474 Machine test No. 50049
PP Dimensional saw serial No. PP 146 Machine test No. 64368

Attachments

• PP badge.jpg
    PP badge.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 45
  • RS badge.jpg
    RS badge.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 45
  • DR badge.jpg